Raid 0 vs nvme ssd

longislandman99

I was wondering if it better to go with a 1tb Samsung 960 pro nvme ssd vs 2 2 515gb Samsung 850 pro ssd in raid 0 any thoughts?

Are you asking if one big NVME SSD is better than two, or are you asking if one big NVME SSD is better then two SATA SSD's?  The answer is NVME is much faster than two SATA SSD's and one NVME is safer than two NVME drives in RAID 0.

How about 2 500tb 960 Evo's in Raid-0?  Should be cheaper than the 1 pro and perform better (assuming your board supports 2x nvme).

1 minute ago, Fraser Cow said:

Are you asking if one big NVME SSD is better than two, or are you asking if one big NVME SSD is better then two SATA SSD's?  The answer is NVME is much faster than two SATA SSD's and one NVME is safer than two NVME drives in RAID 0.

While it's true that Raid-0 runs a risk, if you're using it for a boot drive and application load for speed, that's not really a big deal.  Just have a single larger SATA HDD for any important, irreplaceable data (and maybe an image of your boot drives).  If your boot disk crashes, just replace and re-image.

I was just wondering building a gaming rig so if I lose it doesn’t matter that much everything is on steam 

It isn't going to be an appreciable enough difference to be worth it. I tried just for the heck of it.

Or better yet, run 2x250 GB Evo's in Raid-0 for boot drive and buy a 4tb 10,000rpm with the cost savings for your data.

He says all his data is steam Games so he'd be better off with raid 0 2TB HDDS than one 10,000 RPM 4TB.

Ok so raid 0 two 2tb hdds for storage that I got but what should I use as a boot drive

40 minutes ago, longislandman99 said:

Ok so raid 0 two 2tb hdds for storage that I got but what should I use as a boot drive

Assuming there is 0 data that he wants to keep I would agree.

Personally, I'd run two half size Nvme's for boot drives in raid 0 (assuming your motherboard supports it).  Since NvME's seem to be pretty much linear for storage/cost.  And if it's a boot drive it's completely replaceable (and theoretically you only have to replace one of them at a time, which halves the cost of your replacement).  You should be able to get 3k read and 3k write with 2 half sized NvME's in Raid-0.  The only potential issue is ambient heat in your system, because they run pretty hot.

As for your system, how much money do you have to spend, and how much storage do you think you need?  There's no point in doing the HDDs at all unless you need a lot of storage.

Ok so on Amazon right now a 1tb EVO pro costs $586.  For that same price you could get:

2x500gb 960 Evo (not pro) M.2 nvme - @ $234 each so $468 bucks.  Then if you need additional space spend the remaining $120 on 2x1TB 7200RPM WD Black drives that will mount to SSD slots:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B01DOL05OC/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510350961&sr=1-2-fkmr3&keywords=10000+rpm+1tb+WD+Black

Put the NvMe's in Raid-0 and the 2x1TB in Raid-0 (if you don't need to keep anything on there) and you end up with the following:

Boot drive 1TB of 3k read/write and 2TB of Sata IIIx2 speed HDD storage

Triple the storage at better speeds for the first 1TB for about the same price as a single 1TB Nvme 960 Pro :)

If (like most people) there is some stuff you want to keep, then replace the 2x1TB HDD's with something like a single P300 3TB 3.5" (would actually take a drive bay tho) for $80:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Desktop-7200rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B013JPLOQQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510351465&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=7200+rpm+2tb+WD+Black&psc=1

Or if you want to spend it all and 3TB just isn't enough, then maybe something like this 4TB X300:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JPKUU2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1