PC ageing faster as gaming and streaming PC?

I have a really nice powerhouse rig, at least to me anyway, that I use for gaming, Twitch streaming, video editing, and general use. But a question crossed my mind recently, does constant streaming and gaming age your hardware faster than someone who just plays games, makes videos, or uses their PC for general use? I feel like I heard either Linus or someone said it does, but I decided to get educated instead and ask. If it does, is it worth building a streaming PC just for twitch so my main rig doesn't "age" as fast. 

My system

• Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White Full Tower
  • Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
  • Processor: Intel i7-4790 3.6Ghz Quad Core
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 16GB.
  • Graphics card: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW 6GB
  • Inateck USB 3.0 to PCIe expansion card
  • Elgato HD60 Pro
  • USB 2.0 to PCI expansion card
  • Dual SATA to PCIe expansion card
  • Power Supply: EVGA G2 Supernova 750watt 80+
  • Gold
  • Hard Drive: 2 WD Blue 1TB RAID 1 for OS, 2
  • 2TB WD Black, one for images and one for
  • video editing,
  • 1 WD Blue 500GB for rendering,
  • 1 Seagate 1TB for resource files.
  • 2 3TB for more storage
  • 2 Corsair AF 120mm Blue LED Fan
  • 1 Corsair AF 140mm White LED Fan
  • 2 Noctua NF-A14 Black 140mm Fans
  • 1 Corsair ML120mm Fan

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Ageing? Nah. Make sure you look after your rig, dust it regularly, keep temperatures low, and you should be fine. Use of a PC will not damage it, but temperature stress will. If you take good care of it it will last you years.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

4 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Ageing? Nah. Make sure you look after your rig, dust it regularly, keep temperatures low, and you should be fine. Use of a PC will not damage it, but temperature stress will. If you take good care of it it will last you years.

I remember that Linus talked about micro fractures in the solder joints of a motherboard and other components, that's why I was asking. Does that statement still stand true with that in mind? 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

Just now, Josh_Grid21 said:

I remember that Linus talked about micro fractures in the solder joints of a motherboard and other components, that's why I was asking. Does that statement still stand true with that in mind? 

That's definitely a thing, but iirc it's caused by heat and/or vibrations. Keeping your temps reasonable would help you avoid that, but bear in mind that there can be extremely tiny and minor defects in parts that originate at the factory, so it is a bit of a lottery. However unless you have janky parts from some sketchy manufacturer, I doubt there would be any major issues with your components.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

4 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

That's definitely a thing, but iirc it's caused by heat and/or vibrations. Keeping your temps reasonable would help you avoid that, but bear in mind that there can be extremely tiny and minor defects in parts that originate at the factory, so it is a bit of a lottery. However unless you have janky parts from some sketchy manufacturer, I doubt there would be any major issues with your components.

Thank you for the information. I am very picky when it comes to taking care of my computer and all our workstations at my house. I thought I'd ask to get a better idea of the concept. Thanks! :D

Solder fractures are usually caused by thermal cycling.

Electromigration is usually what ends up killing computers from "age", presuming they ever die in the first place before they become obsolete. It's accelerated by higher temperatures which increase the resistance of the conductors.

Realistically, the most likely things to die are going to be your harddrives, and your PSU. Literally everything else could last 20 years so long as you aren't pumping silly amounts of power through it, or allowing it to overheat.

In general you can think of any PC like an engine form your car. There are no visible moving part's but there are electrons that move an over time pic away material from your components. It's called electro migration if i'm not mistaken. The more electrons flow throw your system the more they will reduce the lifetime of your components. BUT  as stated in a lot of videos online and on my own experience, that is negligible. The temperature is fastening this process that is why they tell you to keep your components cool.

If your are able to run your components cool than they shout as long under high load as under low load. Miningrigs for Bitcoin and Editing rigs run usually hotter because they are under constant load. ( temperature again ^^ ).

Another important thing is your condensator on your motherboard. These have a lifetime under load and a heavy load and high temperatures reduce this lifetime faster. 

All together, however you use your motherboard under normal working conditions (not 100% workload 24/7) they last at least a few years (5-10). And by the time you reach the point where it starts to matter, it is time to upgrade anyway today, so don't think to much about what component you shout use or if they will life long enough and see this video about fans and cooling and go for the low temperature and you will be fine

It won't have anything that you would notice. You would reach limits faster if you would run components at hot temps or high voltages. But putting more stress doesn't do anything by itself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It probably does, heat and voltage doing the most 'damage'. But not enough that it'd make a big difference in life expectancy of your bits.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

17 hours ago, ibabyslapper said:

It probably does, heat and voltage doing the most 'damage'. But not enough that it'd make a big difference in life expectancy of your bits.

Well, when my CPU hits 50 *C and my GPU hits 70 *C is this electromigration accelerating the process? 

11 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Everything will age if u use it. DEAL WITH IT.

In the end they will die anyway but unlike other things PC wont die that easily unless u screwed up or unable to take care of it.

A lot of people still rocking 4670k/4790k or old gpu like 650,680,780 and i am sure they wont use that RIG for office workloads only looking at u Ms,word/excel.

How to take care of your pc is already been described by LTT members above.

Yeah and I do. I just wanted to understand better how that process worked. :)

If you build a stream PC or wanted to try it, OBS with the NDI plugin is pretty useful! If you're not sure what that is, i go over it (and how to set it up) here. 

In my opinion, no it wont noticeably age your PC more to "stress" it more, unless like everyone above says, your temps are out of control. Thermal cycling is what kills solder joints as mentioned, so keeping everything cool under stress is pretty much the key to longevity. 

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

On 11/6/2017 at 2:40 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

It won't have anything that you would notice. You would reach limits faster if you would run components at hot temps or high voltages. But putting more stress doesn't do anything by itself.

False. The fans will wear out faster.

13 hours ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

Well, when my CPU hits 50 *C and my GPU hits 70 *C is this electromigration accelerating the process? 

Those are normal temps. High temps would be over 90C on both.

7 minutes ago, RubSchneider said:

False. The fans will wear out faster.

Not really. Fans are rated to run X hours at full speed. Ofc running them lower than full speed will increase lifetime. But you can run them at lower speeds while still have normal temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Not really. Fans are rated to run X hours at full speed. Ofc running them lower than full speed will increase lifetime. But you can run them at lower speeds while still have normal temps.

Not unless you have overkill cooling. Fans in a system under 60% load 24/7 will last longer than under 100% 24/7.