8700k or 8700?

Is there really a big difference between 8700 and 8700k. Now that K is hard to find in the market is it worth going for 8700? Building my first PC so, how big a difference having over clocking ability? Is 7700K better than 8700? Thanks!

Usage: Coding, gaming, streaming, etc. 

K is for overclocking. No K, no overclocking.

Overclocking does provide a small boost to performance.

-アパゾ

Just now, APasz said:

K is for overclocking. No K, no overclocking.

@APasz, that I know buddy. 

The 8700 non k has better cooling since it is set on a lower frequency by point five ghz .. the 8700k is for people who cares about bragging rights.

but overall the stock 8700 and 8700k is almost identical. 

the 8700 has a 4.6 turbo boost which is amazon

i myself is going to get the 8700 

32 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

Is there really a big difference between 8700 and 8700k. Now that K is hard to find in the market is it worth going for 8700? Building my first PC so, how big a difference having over clocking ability? Is 7700K better than 8700? Thanks!

Usage: Coding, gaming, streaming, etc. 

8700 is a lot better than the 7700K...and i would not spend the extra money for the 8700K...personally i would go with the 8700.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Personally I wouldn't consider the non-k processor until cheaper chipset motherboards are available. Right now the price difference IMO is not low enough to get the locked cpu on unlocked motherboard. Especially since 8700k with great OC capability, the ring bus, IPC and core count will probably last as long as legendary i7-2600k (this cpu at its time was also not the best bang for buck).

4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

8700 is a lot better than the 7700K...and i would not spend the extra money for the 8700K...personally i would go with the 8700.

Few hours ago the 8700 was sold for the same price $419 Newegg 

Just now, Chennaiyen said:

Few hours ago the 8700 was sold for the same price $419 Newegg 

well...if you can get the K for like...50 to 80$ more then i would say yes...it all depends on pricing really.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

well...if you can get the K for like...50 to 80$ more then i would say yes...it all depends on pricing really.

Ya I would do the same if the price difference is less. 

Price difference between the K and non-K of the 8700 is pretty considerate, so it all depends whether you want to OC or not

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

16 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

Price difference between the K and non-K of the 8700 is pretty considerate, so it all depends whether you want to OC or not

So, how big of a difference it’s gonna make with OC? I will be combining with 1080ti. 

8700 and 1080 ti will this be enough to accommodate high end games and be future proof at least 5 years down the lane? If there is good price difference. 

6 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

So, how big of a difference it’s gonna make with OC? I will be combining with 1080ti. 

8700 and 1080 ti will this be enough to accommodate high end games and be future proof at least 5 years down the lane? 

5 years?! lol...depends...you will most likely want a higher end 1440p high refresh gaming monitor, or an oculus rift? both of which can bring a 1080ti to it's knees already in current games if you seek max settings...

if you want 1080p medium in 5 years from now in ''most'' games..i'd say ....yeah...kind of.

5 years is a hell of a long time bro...1080ti is a top notch card RIGHT now...it will be a ''great'' card at the same time next year...an ''ok'' card in 2 years from now and a ''meh'' card within 3 years time.

CPU wise...both the 8700 and 8700K will still do good with a couple GPU upgrades....in 5 years it will still be ''alright'' imho.

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

5 years?! lol...depends...you will most likely want a higher end 1440p high refresh gaming monitor, or an oculus rift? both of which can bring a 1080ti to it's knees already in current games if you seek max settings...

if you want 1080p medium in 5 years from now in ''most'' games..i'd say ....yeah...kind of.

5 years is a hell of a long time bro...1080ti is a top notch card RIGHT now...it will be a ''great'' card at the same time next year...an ''ok'' card in 2 years from now and a ''meh'' card within 3 years time.

CPU wise...both the 8700 and 8700K will still do good with a couple GPU upgrades....in 5 years it will still be ''alright'' imho.

Ya you are right, tech upgrades happen every year. But this is the choice we have right now. 

And can you suggest any good monitor with g-sync, 1440p, over 100hz budget $ 450. I recently bought dell u2717d but not really happy with. 

14 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

Ya you are right, tech upgrades happen every year. But this is the choice we have right now. 

And can you suggest any good monitor with g-sync, 1440p, over 100hz budget $ 450. I recently bought dell u2717d but not really happy with. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4yGj4D/dell-s2716dgr-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-s2716dgr

i would get this thing from best buy...it has Gsync, it's a super fast gaming monitor

for the price, only VR can be better IMHO.

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4yGj4D/dell-s2716dgr-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-s2716dgr

i would get this thing from best buy...it has Gsync, it's a super fast gaming monitor

for the price, only VR can be better IMHO.

That’s in my list. But my is it good to spend $$ on a TN panel? I did see latest TN panels are pretty good compared to IPS.  

Just now, Chennaiyen said:

That’s in my list. But my is it good to spend $$ on a TN panel? I did see latest TN panels are pretty good compared to IPS.  

this one is by dell and i heard good things about it...dell has so great quality TN and if you tune it correctly it can look outstanding in games...

IPS has slightly better colors, but it can and will exibit some light bleed on the corners and the blacks arent that great IMHO, i have a IPS Gsync high end monitor and its great, but i would rather pocked the money and get a good TN if i knew what i know now.

3 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

this is your IPS option...it's 150$ more...IMHO it's not worth it

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/scM323/aoc-ag271qg-270-165hz-monitor-ag271qg

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

this one is by dell and i heard good things about it...dell has so great quality TN and if you tune it correctly it can look outstanding in games...

IPS has slightly better colors, but it can and will exibit some light bleed on the corners and the blacks arent that great IMHO, i have a IPS Gsync high end monitor and its great, but i would rather pocked the money and get a good TN if i knew what i know now.

Thanks! Now I can save some money going for TN. Yes have an IPS panel now and experience light bleed. 

1 minute ago, Chennaiyen said:

Thanks! Now I can save some money going for TN. Yes have an IPS panel now and experience light bleed. 

Gsync and high refresh is worth every penny though..if you dont need your other ''not gaming'' monitor i wqould try to sell it and upgrade to the gsync gaming monitor...this is really nice. ANd if you like racing games and a racing wheel...or just the idea of VR in the future consider a VR kit it's also amazing.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Gsync and high refresh is worth every penny though..if you dont need your other ''not gaming'' monitor i wqould try to sell it and upgrade to the gsync gaming monitor...this is really nice. ANd if you like racing games and a racing wheel...or just the idea of VR in the future consider a VR kit it's also amazing.

I am still in my return period for my monitors. Will return them and wait till Black Friday for good deal on this monitor. 

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Ya will get a VR in future. 

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Does Gsync and 144hz make the movie experience better too or it’s only impacts the gaming experience?

1 minute ago, Chennaiyen said:

Does Gsync and 144hz make the movie experience better too or it’s only impacts the gaming experience?

No, only gaming. Movies will always be at 24fps unless filmed at higher.

-アパゾ