GPU looses signal

IKnight

Hey guys. Starting a new thread cause I'm now under different circumstances. 

So I've got a GTX 970 that I bought used, and whenever it's under load/I go into a game, it will loose connection to the display and I will have to reboot to get picture again. I still hear sound however. Iv tried running DDU and other games. 

What could be the problem? 

(I'm using one PCI 8pin and one 2molex to PCI 6pin) 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, COUPER MILLAR said:

I'm always very suspicious of molex to anything connectors

Yeah, I typically don't recommend them either but this is more a temporary solution as I don't have another PSU. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

do you have a buddy who could test the card in his system to see if it's a power delivery issue? That would be my first thought. Have you tried using different outputs, display port, DVI?

Just now, COUPER MILLAR said:

do you have a buddy who could test the card in his system to see if it's a power delivery issue? That would be my first thought. Have you tried using different outputs, display port, DVI?

Tried the different outputs with no success. 

IL have to see with my friends. 

Small update: it works when the GPU core clock and memory clock are lowered by 500hmz in addition to the power limit being drawn down to 50%. 

When I tried raising the core clock and memory clock to 0 and 0 respectivly, it crashed again. 

Do you guys think this problem is related to power or the card itself?...

30 minutes ago, jeff.proto-_- said:

What is the wattage of the PSU?

I think the PSU was the problem in the end. When I sketched everything over to my backup system with a PSU I borrowed, everything ended up working well. 

If the PSU doesn't have enough PCI connectors it usually means it can't handle whatever needs that many PCI connectors. 

No matter what the label says. Any PSU from the past 10 to 15 years will have enough PCI connectors for whatever is intended to run of it. 

Small advice: Get a certified PSU with the required PCI type and amount. 

Spooky story: Bad contact in Molex to PCI adapter can kill hardware, happened before. 

10 hours ago, faziten said:

If the PSU doesn't have enough PCI connectors it usually means it can't handle whatever needs that many PCI connectors. 

No matter what the label says. Any PSU from the past 10 to 15 years will have enough PCI connectors for whatever is intended to run of it. 

Small advice: Get a certified PSU with the required PCI type and amount. 

Spooky story: Bad contact in Molex to PCI adapter can kill hardware, happened before. 

The old PSU that didn't work was just missing the other PCI cable (lost it a looong time ago). 

This next CX430 works well.