Gpu warranty replacement

Justin Craig

My MSI gtx 970 gaming died .MSI replaced it under warranty with a gtx 1060 6gb oc,since they didn't have any 970's ,witch promptly failed . The build quality of this card is significantly less than my 970 .Everything about it screams cheap.Of course I'm going to have to rma this card ,paying 46$ to send it across the country again. I feel like I'm getting ripped off . They're replacing a 379$ enthusiast card with a 229$mainstream card. This doesn't seem fair to me .379 +92=471 that's the cost of a gtx 1070. Well the msrp of a gtx 1070 is 379$. At this point how should I approach this ? Any suggestions?

I'm not very familiar with the problem but take your business elsewhere my friend 

I know it will be expensive but if you spend money to get ripped off is it worth it?

Hi ma dood

MSI are bad cards in general. if possible, call them, tell them you don't want another card and just want your money back. 

then, get a card from a better brand. EVGA and Gigabyte come to mind. 

She/Her

The GTX 1060 6GB trades blows with GTX 980, so you feeling like being ripped off is not really justified. They have sent you better card than the one you had. It may not be the same built quality but it doesn't change its performance.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

The GTX 1060 6GB trades blows with GTX 980, so you feeling like being ripped off is not really justified. They have sent you better card than the one you had. It may not be the same built quality but it doesn't change its performance.

hes more saying he overpayed for the 970 and with return shipping he could get a 1070

The 1060 6GB is better than the 970. The real 10 series equivalent to the 970 is the 1060 3GB, so they rounded up and gave you a slight upgrade. What, did you expect them to give you a 1070? A 970 isn't a $300+ card anymore. Computer hardware depreciates fast.

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

9 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

hes more saying he overpayed for the 970 and with return shipping he could get a 1070

I understand that he is frustrated with not getting a replacement card in the same price range but here is the thing.

If MSI repaired his card or had 970 in stock, he would receive back GTX 970 and he would still pay the same amount for shipping.

Instead, they sent him a GTX 1060 which is a more powerful card than the one he had.

It is a similar situation to when my SSD broke.

I paid €120 for 120GB SSD, after 2-3 years it broke so I sent the SSD back to Kingston and I also had to pay for shipping. They only had a newer version of the 120GB SSD which after 2-3 years was worth only €60.

By your logic, they should send me 240GB SSD instead but that's not how it works.

In either case, the product was replaced with a better product. The issue would occur only if they replaced it with an inferior product.

Well that's just it they didn't send me a better product they sent me a non functioning product. I wonder how many times i'm going to have to do this at 46 dollars a time plus not gaming on a gaming pc while i wait ,because i can't trust them to send me a functioning product.