First Build Going big!

Stylez

Hey guys ive loved pc gaming and pc hardware for a long time but have always had pre made systems, and only ever mid range specs.

So though it was about time i built my own high end system, here is the list of parts. (The components not yet ordered will be ordered in the next couple of days).

Case- Corsair 750d (ordered)

Mobo- Asus Maximus 6 Formula (ordered)

Cpu- Intel 4670k

Gpu- Gigabyte GTX 780ti OC Edition (ordered)

Ram- 4x4gb Sticks Dominator platinum 1866 (ordered)

Psu- Corsair AX760i (ordered)

CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i

Storage- Samsung 840 Evo 500gb

Monitor- Asus Pb278q

Fans- Corsair AF and SP quiet edition

OS- Windows 8.1 Pro (See how it goes)

Cables- All corsair individually sleeved Red

imo shave some money with the 500gb go with a 256, get rid of the h100i, and add a bit more, then you got a real fun project with the water cooling :D

Thanks for the feedback mate, i though hard about doing a full custom watercooling loop but figured i would just get all the gear i really wanted now and can always go the watercooling option later.

Very nice.

Why did you choose an i5 over an i7? I'm just curious, not making any suggestion either way.

You'll like an SSD only system. Just don't forget to do something about backups.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I think you should get a Intel core i7 4770 if you don't plan on overclocking.  Don't get a 500GB SSD.  Get a 1TB seagate barracuda and a 256GB SSD.  Don't get the h100i, get a Noctua NH-U14S  or a Hyper 212 EVO or HN-u12S if going with the 4770.   I would also suggest an Enermax t-40 white cluster if going with red, because it will blend in nicely.  Use the extra money to get a better CPU, or a mechanical keyboard.  If your going with a h100i get the NZXT G10, for your 780ti.  Just my opinion. 

Hey buddy, i picked the i5 because its a gamming system and not much point getting the i7 in that case from what ive been told/seen, and saves me a few bucks that way as well which is always nice :).  Im going to be keeping my old system on the desk next to the new one so that will be used for all the downloading and mass storage, the new pc will only have games installed.

cheers for feedback, like i said custom watercooling may come later so no g10, for gaming everyone says go 4670k over 4770k, i want a purely ssd based system will be adding another 500gb in the future if needed.

Sorry thought you said 4770k, i will be overclocking so going 4670k.

IMO the Dom Plats and AX PSU are a waste of money. Also, 500GB of SSD is pointless really, could put the money to better use. And as mentioned, custom loop or just grab an air cooler. They perform the same for less and are quieter...

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

IMO the Dom Plats and AX PSU are a waste of money. Also, 500GB of SSD is pointless really, could put the money to better use. And as mentioned, custom loop or just grab an air cooler. They perform the same for less and are quieter...

i agree with the dom plats, but it seems to be the trend in custom loops, like EVERY rig has doms lol

A lot of people would say any gaming rig is pointless and the money could be put to better use.

I love my 500GB SSD only system. Fast & quiet.

If you believe there is an air cooler that is less expensive and better cooling and quieter than the H100i, I'd like to know what it is.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

welcome ;)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

If you believe there is an air cooler that is less expensive and better cooling and quieter than the H100i, I'd like to know what it is.

I said the same. Silver Arrow, Phanteks or NH-D14. A lot quieter from what I've heard. Same goes for the Corsair fans. So overrated...

Current rig: i5 4670K | GTX 670 | Asus Z87I-Pro | Silverstone Strider Plus 600W | Custom mITX case | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Samsung 840 120GB | G430 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro - MX Red | LG 21.5"

Thanks for the opions, dominator platinums are not required but im not really bothered about saving money so im getting the components i like the look of and perform well, true a 760i may be considered a waste also but its a killer psu and fits with a high end build (will be chucking in another 780ti in the future) imo the more ssd storage the better and as for h100i i know alot of ppl with them and they are 100% happy, also im not a fan of the look of air coolers.

all components ordered now :) will post pics when they arrive.

Hey mate great selection of parts you are going to have a great time building this it will look very nice and perform extremely well. That mobo with that ram and a h100i with 760i psu is just awesome! I have a pretty high end system myself with kind of similar parts in a 650d i'll post the link if u wanna check it out for some ideas in the future if u get the watercooling bug like i did a bit later on lol. Enjoy :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/86110-650d-summer-refresh-complete/

Cheers mate :) yeh really cant wait till it all arrives.

A 500gb ssd is a brilliant idea. Most people easily have 500gb of games and having games on an ssd is great cos it reduces loading times massively.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yeh with the prices that larger capacity ssds are now lots of systems will go pure ssd storage :) more the better

I recently found room to put one of my games on my SSD and all I can say is wow. Its so fast! I wish I could do full SSD, very nice selection I'm sure it'll be awesome!

Orange Furball "Carbonation" - Bitfenix Prodigy (modded), Core i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB & 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, HD 7870 GHz ED. Build Log HERE

Yeh it should be awsome :) cheers for comment mate

A 500gb ssd is a brilliant idea. Most people easily have 500gb of games and having games on an ssd is great cos it reduces loading times massively.

Yeh with the prices that larger capacity ssds are now lots of systems will go pure ssd storage :) more the better

Well if only I had $3000 to blow.

760i cannot power 2 780ti and a CPU. Get at least 850 watts.

Also, corsair fans are bad. Get noiseblocker eloops, or get Silverstone fans. Both have their uses. Corsair are just loud.

And for thermal paste get gelid GC extreme.

Thanks for the opions, dominator platinums are not required but im not really bothered about saving money so im getting the components i like the look of and perform well, true a 760i may be considered a waste also but its a killer psu and fits with a high end build (will be chucking in another 780ti in the future) imo the more ssd storage the better and as for h100i i know alot of ppl with them and they are 100% happy, also im not a fan of the look of air coolers.

760i cannot power 2 780ti and a CPU. Get at least 850 watts.

Also, corsair fans are bad. Get noiseblocker eloops, or get Silverstone fans. Both have their uses. Corsair are just loud.

And for thermal paste get gelid GC extreme.

of course it can unless your running a 780ti kingpin at 1933mhz............. the 780ti is only 250w and the hghest cpu's are 130w 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

of course it can unless your running a 780ti kingpin at 1933mhz............. the 780ti is only 250w and the hghest cpu's are 130w

Again, wrong. Load wattage is showing as much as 400 watts.

400 + 130 + 50 (system parts,) plus 20 for mobo = 600 watts. Since you shouldn't go over 90% load on PSU that mean 760 * .9 = 684 watts. They are close to that. Huzzah.

Most load usage is around 380 watts, so 760 watts for two titans alone? Hue.

True, only overclocked 780ti cards hit 400 watts usage, but it happens. The cards alone consume 300 watts by themselves, so you definitely will be getting real close to 760 watts.