CPU Temp high after reapplying Thermal Paste!

Hello everyone!

So I am really getting frustrated with my CPU and its temperature rising for some reason, I have found out about the problem about a month ago when my PC once shut down as I was playing PUBG with friends

I start it back up and check my CPU/GPU temperature and I find that my CPU's idle temp was about 42-50 Degrees.

So I knew I had to change the thermal paste, and I didn't do much research to see which one was the best thermal paste at the time so I bought Arctic Silver 5, I know that it's an old product now and there are better choices.

I got it and applied it on my CPU...

First I tried Pea/Dot method : Temperature gone down to about 37 degrees (Celsius) and I thought I could work with that, now I knew there was some burn in process required so I let it be for a few days, the next day, however, instead of remaining or improving, it went back to 42+ degrees again.

So I waited a couple of days and checked, it didn't fix. I then changed the paste again, this time I tried the Line method as I found it out that it's recommended on their website.

Same story : Initially the temperature was low then it went back up in a day.

I tried once again, and it was still the same for me.

So I thought maybe I was fooled, even though the tube looked genuine, I thought I got a fake product or something.

This time I did more research and found out that CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker was the top product so I ordered that!

Now yesterday I applied it with its recommended "spread" method and the temperature is about 40 - 50 on idle still

Today, I applied with the Pea/Dot method and the temperature went down to 36 and then again rose up.

I'm really getting frustrated with this, I'm no expert but I believe I didn't put too little or too much. But I don't know.

(Stress test puts it up to 82 degrees right now)

Now I would really like for someone to help me out with this.

I'd like to try it once more with a better method, if I'm screwing it up. I'd like to know for this particular thermal paste, what method is best suited? (CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker)

If it's the spread method (which is something I dislike) or if it's dot method that suits the best or if it's the line method that I should try.

Or if you think this is some other problem.

I'd like to point out that my cooler is about almost 2 years old, though it doesn't show any sign of problems with it, the pump seems cool enough, I just think that the heat isn't being transferred all that well maybe.

This is what I'm working with:

Intel Core i7 4770K

Corsair GTX H100i Liquid Cooler

CoolerMaster CM 690 III Cabinet

No extra fans in the chassis though.

1.PNG

Your cooler is fine, perhaps the TIM (the thermal paste between the cpu die and heat spreader) is bad. Do you have your radiator sucking cold air in or using warm air from the case?

id have said tim aswell, that gen cpus have had a lot of new about getting way better temps with new tim applied, it could be yours has gone

2 minutes ago, bince said:

Your cooler is fine, perhaps the TIM (the thermal paste between the cpu die and heat spreader) is bad. Do you have your radiator sucking cold air in or using warm air from the case?

It's sucking the air in from outside, from the top of the cabinet.

And the TIM being one of the top ones, I just dont know what I've done wrong. I'm trying my best to not put too much or too little and I think the size is fine but then I don't know.

1 minute ago, Satish Suthar said:

It's sucking the air in from outside, from the top of the cabinet.

And the TIM being one of the top ones, I just dont know what I've done wrong. I'm trying my best to not put too much or too little and I think the size is fine but then I don't know.

No, your talking about the thermal paste there, the TIM is the material between the actual chip inside the cpu and the metal top bit, that you put thermal paste on (pea or line, whatever). If the TIM goes the heat can't even get to the metal part of the cpu, for your cooler to take away, therefore making it very hawwwwt.

2 minutes ago, bince said:

No, your talking about the thermal paste there, the TIM is the material between the actual chip inside the cpu and the metal top bit, that you put thermal paste on (pea or line, whatever). If the TIM goes the heat can't even get to the metal part of the cpu, for your cooler to take away, therefore making it very hawwwwt.

Damn, I never knew about any of that, what's the solution to this? Is that another part where I have to put the paste?

2 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

Damn, I never knew about any of that, what's the solution to this? Is that another part where I have to put the paste?

Yeah, you can replace it, underneath the metal lid, that can be removed by using a delid tool (safest way). Just make sure that your thermal paste is not conductive or you could destroy your cpu. I would advise that you look at some guides on delidding first though, its a bit risky. (I wouldn't personally do it lol)

11 hours ago, bince said:

Yeah, you can replace it, underneath the metal lid, that can be removed by using a delid tool (safest way). Just make sure that your thermal paste is not conductive or you could destroy your cpu. I would advise that you look at some guides on delidding first though, its a bit risky. (I wouldn't personally do it lol)

Jesus, I just saw a thread about it and it does seem too risky, I don't think I can do it and I don't know where to find the proper tools.

Oh man :/ by the way, do you happen to know what method is the best for CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker (Nano)?

Maybe I should give it one last go with a proper method, they do recommend spreading but that always ends up being gross than it should be.

5 hours ago, Satish Suthar said:

Jesus, I just saw a thread about it and it does seem too risky, I don't think I can do it and I don't know where to find the proper tools.

Oh man :/ by the way, do you happen to know what method is the best for CoolerMaster MasterGel Maker (Nano)?

Maybe I should give it one last go with a proper method, they do recommend spreading but that always ends up being gross than it should be.

I make-do with the pea method, never made a difference for me. However if they recommend spreading it, thats what I would do. You could spread it with a credit card maybe (if u don't wanna do it w/ ur finger)? If you do spread it w/ your finger make sure you wash it all off ur finger afterwards as thermal paste can be toxic. (if swallowed). :o

20 hours ago, bince said:

I make-do with the pea method, never made a difference for me. However if they recommend spreading it, thats what I would do. You could spread it with a credit card maybe (if u don't wanna do it w/ ur finger)? If you do spread it w/ your finger make sure you wash it all off ur finger afterwards as thermal paste can be toxic. (if swallowed). :o

I think I'm going to take my CPU to this computer repairing store nearby and have the guy do it for me.

I think I'll take my CoolerMaster's Thermal Paste for that with me to replace TIM? Or am I supposed to use any different thermal paste for that one?

For now I have Arctic Silver 5 an CM MasterGel Maker. Idk which one to choose