New laptop

Go to solution Solved by genexis_x,
50 minutes ago, Almond said:

This will probably be the last post as i rounded up some laptops that i think are the best for the price. Here's the list and it would be amazing if you could help me decide:

Please look at the excluding VAT prices as ill be making a business purchase. Out of these which one would you recommend the most. Cheers and once again sorry for the bother.

First, I'll avoid MSI GP series laptops as their build quality isn't that great. Below I'll sum up all the laptops (from top to bottom, best to worst) since there isn't a laptop from above that can fulfill all your requirements

Display:
HP Omen
Other laptops except MSI GP offers entry level IPS panel (low sRGB)

Keyboard (all of them are good enough):
Y520
Tracer II-MK
HP Omen
Defiance III, Novatech Elite N1777

Battery life:
HP Omen, Novatech
Defiance, Tracer, Y520

Other things are pretty much the same

In my point of view, I would avoid Tracer II-MK (small battery, short warranty) and Defiance III (SFF which isn't good for powerful hardwares in cooling, also small battery). At the end it comes down to your own choice where you have to decide which part you want to sacrifice (for example short battery life at lower price)

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Making a purchase of a new laptop. The laptop will be mostly used as a traveling workstation and i would love to play some games on it, while im away. With a budget of £1000 here in the UK i hope i will be able to find something. 

Whats preferable: 

• Immersive colours and a bright screen.
  • A really nice keyboard for typing.
  • Ability to play CS:GO and League of legends with really good fps (would be nice to play AAA games too)
  • A long lasting battery is preferable.
  • A decently sized screen that's around 15inches.
  • Decent rendering speeds of videos that are 1080p

thank you so much and all suggestions are welcome.

HP Spectre x360 with KB-R CPU and MX150?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

HP Spectre x360 with KB-R CPU and MX150?

a little out of my budget but thank you for the suggestion. Have you seen the dell inspirion 7000, any comment on that?

15 hours ago, Almond said:

a little out of my budget but thank you for the suggestion. Have you seen the dell inspirion 7000, any comment on that?

You mean the Inspiron 7000 Gaming? It's a solid option if you don't mind the slightly heavy weight

If you want a laptop with KB-R CPU and MX150 at a affordable price, Acer Swift 3 and Acer Aspire 5

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

8 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

You mean the Inspiron 7000 Gaming? It's a solid option if you don't mind the slightly heavy weight

If you want a laptop with KB-R CPU and MX150 at a affordable price, Acer Swift 3 and Acer Aspire 5

Yes I was referring to the gaming version of inspirion, the middle option with 16gb ram and gtx 1050ti i7 CPU. Not really aware of different cpus in laptops, how do the mx and kb-r match up with let's just say i7 for laptops

7 hours ago, Almond said:

how do the mx and kb-r match up with let's just say i7 for laptops

KB-R is slightly slower than 7700HQ (frequency drop in long heavy loads)
MX150 is about 50% slower than GTX 1050, however it consumes very little power (less heat, large cooling solution not needed)

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

MX150 is about 50% slower than GTX 1050, however it consumes very little power (less heat, large cooling solution not needed)

I guess you're the only one that is willing to give an input on my topic, I mean if you could suggest a really good laptop that could run Cs:Go type of games or league of legends, that is really thin and has a beautiful display with a decent battery life, i would be sold if the price is lower than that of the inspirion 7577. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:52 PM, ZM Fong said:

Would you be able to recommend few laptops? I changed my post. 

On 10/27/2017 at 5:45 AM, Almond said:

snip

Gaming laptop (heavy, entry level IPS, OKish keyboard): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-i7-7700HQ-Graphics/dp/B01NAW8DX0/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1509355829&sr=8-30&keywords=7700hq

Portable laptops:
Any laptop with KB-R and MX150 (or GTX 1050) like Acer Swift 3 (I don't know the availability in UK. You just let me know if you found laptops with the same hardware so that I can tell you whether it's good or not)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Gaming laptop (heavy, entry level IPS, OKish keyboard): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-i7-7700HQ-Graphics/dp/B01NAW8DX0/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1509355829&sr=8-30&keywords=7700hq

Portable laptops:
Any laptop with KB-R and MX150 (or GTX 1050) like Acer Swift 3 (I don't know the availability in UK. You just let me know if you found laptops with the same hardware so that I can tell you whether it's good or not)

I was looking at the dell inspire actually. What is your opinion on the lenovo legion y520 that I can see you own. The one I'm looking at has the gtx 1060 max q and a I7-7700hq processor. How's the screen sRGB and keyboard.  Also there is a sale on HP Omen 120hz with gtx 1500ti for £950 with a mouse and mousepad, any opinions on this unit?

21 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Portable laptops:

What about Lenovo Legion Y520, like you have? I think for 1000$ it's one of the best for gaming

2 hours ago, Almond said:

I was looking at the dell inspire actually. What is your opinion on the lenovo legion y520 that I can see you own. The one I'm looking at has the gtx 1060 max q and a I7-7700hq processor. How's the screen sRGB and keyboard.  Also there is a sale on HP Omen 120hz with gtx 1500ti for £950 with a mouse and mousepad, any opinions on this unit?

Y520 has a weak battery life and entry level IPS panel (low sRGB). Keyboard is great but I heard that there are some QC issues with the keyboard. The new Omen 15 (2017) is well built but it's overpriced. However you found a great deal which is good. Battery life in that thing is average (not too bad, not too great), the rest of the it is pretty good (not excellent though due to some minor imperfections)

1 hour ago, johnjohns111 said:

What about Lenovo Legion Y520, like you have? I think for 1000$ it's one of the best for gaming

Yes it's one of the best budget gaming laptops I can say. Unlike the solid-built Dell 7567, the Y520 sacrifices battery life for its fairly low weight. Anyway it's better than Asus FX,GL series and MSI GV,GL,GP series in terms of overall build quality (build material, cooling system, display etc)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Y520 has a weak battery life and entry level IPS panel (low sRGB). Keyboard is great but I heard that there are some QC issues with the keyboard. The new Omen 15 (2017) is well built but it's overpriced. However you found a great deal which is good. Battery life in that thing is average (not too bad, not too great)

Yes it's one of the best budget gaming laptops I can say. Unlike the solid-built Dell 7567, the Y520 sacrifices battery life for its fairly low weight. Anyway it's better than Asus FX,GL series and MSI GV,GL,GP series in terms of overall build quality (build material, cooling system, display etc)

This will probably be the last post as i rounded up some laptops that i think are the best for the price. Here's the list and it would be amazing if you could help me decide:

Please look at the excluding VAT prices as ill be making a business purchase. Out of these which one would you recommend the most. Cheers and once again sorry for the bother.

50 minutes ago, Almond said:

First, I'll avoid MSI GP series laptops as their build quality isn't that great. Below I'll sum up all the laptops (from top to bottom, best to worst) since there isn't a laptop from above that can fulfill all your requirements

Display:
HP Omen

Y520
Tracer II-MK
HP Omen

Battery life:
HP Omen, Novatech
Defiance, Tracer, Y520

In my point of view, I would avoid Tracer II-MK (small battery, short warranty) and Defiance III (SFF which isn't good for powerful hardwares in cooling, also small battery). At the end it comes down to your own choice where you have to decide which part you want to sacrifice (for example short battery life at lower price)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Display:
HP Omen

Y520
Tracer II-MK
HP Omen

Battery life:
HP Omen, Novatech
Defiance, Tracer, Y520

I think ill stick with the omen then as it seems i can't find a laptop in the same price range that will be able to perform as well as this laptop. Unless you can recommend me a lower gpu with better ips panel and an amazing keyboard, then i'll be probably buying the HP.  Oh and i forgot to include the dell inspiron: http://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-7577/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/bn57702

6 minutes ago, Almond said:

Unless you can recommend me a lower gpu with better ips panel and an amazing keyboard, then i'll be probably buying the HP

I can but it's over your budget
Or you can choose to change the panel if you want (change the IPS panel of Dell 7567 to 99% sRGB or 4k)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

I can but it's over your budget
Or you can choose to change the panel if you want (change the IPS panel of Dell 7567 to 99% sRGB or 4k)

So it must be expensive. So we can agree that the omen is the better choice out there then? And for the dell do you mean to buy the cheapest one and then buying a 4k screen of ebay? Or do you mean that i should buy the highest range dell?(which is kinda way over my budget)

16 minutes ago, Almond said:

And for the dell do you mean to buy the cheapest one and then buying a 4k screen of ebay?

Yes, it's better than the Omen 15 tbh

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Yes, it's better than the Omen 15 tbh

I checked ebay and I can't seem to find the panels. I don't know if they are out of stock or people are just not selling them. 

2 hours ago, Almond said:

I checked ebay and I can't seem to find the panels. I don't know if they are out of stock or people are just not selling them. 

Try alibaba (taobao)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Try alibaba (taobao)

not there either. I might just have to go with the omen. In your opinion is it a smart choice? or are there any other good choices?

7 hours ago, Almond said:

not there either. I might just have to go with the omen. In your opinion is it a smart choice? or are there any other good choices?

If you want the battery life then yes. Clevo laptops with 62Wh battery also considerable

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 30/10/2017 at 11:46 PM, ZM Fong said:

If you want the battery life then yes. Clevo laptops with 62Wh battery also considerable

Thank you so much for your help matey, received my omen yesterday And I have to say I'm really happy with it. It's quiet big though, thought it would be a bit smaller but the 120hz panel is amazing. Once again, cheers for your help buddy. Have a good one.