Graphics issue followed by major slow down

Hi and thank you for taking the time to read and possibly help! 

I have just experienced a major graphics issue that has now turned into a major slow down on my PC. 

I was running oculus rift creating a 3d model, then tried to render the model in a 3d printing slicer. The graphics crashed and everything went blurry with sharp lines running down parts of the screen. I restarted but no effect, it was even present in bios. I left it for a while but still no luck. 

I then swapped around some spare graphics cards and thankfully it just stopped blurring (woot..) but then I get into windows and everything is running incredibly slowly, even the mouse movement stops and starts. 

ANY help appreciated. Specs wise I'm running a 7700k, 1070, 16gb ram. 

Thank you. 

are you sure that its gpu causing this issue? have you monitored your cpu usage?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It seemed graphics card related previously. I don't think it is now. Cpu usage is not above normal. 

I just tried a system restore from a few days ago and it failed to do it... Said that antivirus was causing an issue. I closed the antivirus but it still failed. 

I reinstalled Windows.. Which took an inordinate amount of time. Seems to have worked, I can only assume that a file got corrupted somewhere that windows could not detect. Still a little worried about the underlying cause of the issue, that there may be something wrong with my graphics card, pcie lanes or other that caused a cascade of nonsense and a loss of an evening's work. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!