980ti hybrid liquid metal

Hey, I plan to delid my i7 7700k to put liquid metal in it and i thought why not as well do it with my evga 980ti hybrid but i'm wondering if I need thermal pad for the stuff around the die or if I can disassemble it without needing to remove the factory ones(also, would I see a difference in temps and maximum overclocking if I change them, if so, wich one should I take) thanks already for the reply :)

20 minutes ago, jeff.proto-_- said:

You'll probably kill your components, don't try it

why woud he kil his components by changing the thermal paste?

anyway, OT: if you want to do liquid metal on the hybrid you can just go and do it. the thermal pads that come with the card can be used again if you don't destroy them in the process of taking it apart.

if you put the liquid metal on the die, and only on the die you should be fine.

10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

anyway, OT: if you want to do liquid metal on the hybrid you can just go and do it. the thermal pads that come with the card can be used again if you don't destroy them in the process of taking it apart.

void this comment

5 hours ago, RollinLower said:

i dont think its that easy. GPU dies are a lot more open than cpu ones. If you spread the liquid metal too much, due to its electric conductivity, it will most certainly short out the core. If you reapply the stock cooler you dont need to replace the thermal pads though. Also liquid metal wont make that much of a difference compard to the sock compound, since the gpu dies heat spreader is already soldered on. Anyways good luck with your endeavour.

38 minutes ago, Leonius said:

i dont think its that easy. GPU dies are a lot more open than cpu ones. If you spread the liquid metal too much, due to its electric conductivity, it will most certainly short out the core. If you reapply the stock cooler you dont need to replace the thermal pads though. Also liquid metal wont make that much of a difference compard to the sock compound, since the gpu dies heat spreader is already soldered on. Anyways good luck with your endeavour.

GPU's don't use heat spreaders tough.

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

GPU's don't use heat spreaders tough.

This is correct. Graphics cards don't have heat spreaders on the GPU. The cooling is done directly on the die.

1 hour ago, Leonius said:

If you spread the liquid metal too much, due to its electric conductivity, it will most certainly short out the core

This comment was mostly correct.

You will have to be very careful when spreading the Liquid Metal. And be mindful of spread.

You absolutely can run the risk of shorting out your GPU so exert the utmost caution or just stick with a quality thermal paste.

Honestly, if you're using one of the AiO cooled 980 Ti, you're already getting great temps.

I know, my 980 Ti was an AiO cooled card before I ripped everything off in favor of custom water cooling.

You're already getting great cooling performance. Even with the 120mm rad, you still shouldn't be thermally limited for overclocking.

Trying to get a few degrees less isn't going to make any meaningful impact on your performance.

And you're taking an honest risk in using Liquid Metal.

Personally, I'd recommend against this plan. Too much risk for not enough payoff.

---

9 hours ago, PrimeSonic said:

This is correct. Graphics cards don't have heat spreaders on the GPU. The cooling is done directly on the die.

This comment was mostly correct.

You will have to be very careful when spreading the Liquid Metal. And be mindful of spread.

You absolutely can run the risk of shorting out your GPU so exert the utmost caution or just stick with a quality thermal paste.

Honestly, if you're using one of the AiO cooled 980 Ti, you're already getting great temps.

I know, my 980 Ti was an AiO cooled card before I ripped everything off in favor of custom water cooling.

You're already getting great cooling performance. Even with the 120mm rad, you still shouldn't be thermally limited for overclocking.

Trying to get a few degrees less isn't going to make any meaningful impact on your performance.

And you're taking an honest risk in using Liquid Metal.

Personally, I'd recommend against this plan. Too much risk for not enough payoff.

Thanks, I think I will stick with good old mx-4 and the reason why I wan't to do it is because i'm often playing two games same time(GTA V and Rocket League most of the time) and the gpu is heating the interior of the case a bit more and I would like to achieve 5GHz on air with my i7 7700k that's kind of my goal, Not sure if I can or not but only time will say, but one thing is sure, in this sutiation, every possible way to reduce air temp in the case will help

*I am not planning to let it run 5GHz on air for to long, I just wan't to see of it's possible

11 hours ago, tiwill0v2 said:

the reason why I wan't to do it is because i'm often playing two games same time(GTA V and Rocket League most of the time) and the gpu is heating the interior of the case a bit more

So if you've got a hybrid card, the bulk of the heat is already being handled by the radiator.

Best you can do is make sure that the radiator and fan are exhausting the air directly out of the case rather than into it.

If you haven't already, swap the GPU radiator to the back of your case so the hot air goes straight out.

All that said, if your concern is the hot air, thermodynamics isn't going to be kind to you in that front.

Improving the core temps of the GPU by improving the thermal transfer between the die and the waterblock (that's where the liquid metal comes in), isn't going to result in any less heat output.

The total heat generated by the GPU/cooler as a whole will be the same.

The only real difference you might see is the water heating up faster and reaching equilibrium a little sooner. But I'd doubt even that.

So again, if you want to keep the hot air out of the way of the CPU's cooling, just make sure it's being exhausted outside of the case in the first place instead of leaving it in the case for other fans to deal with.

---