Large Overhall Of System - Ryzen Power! :)

Good evening I am looking for some much appreciated valuable advice please.

I currently have a 1155 build so I will be using my existing case, GPU and PSU amongst other HDD's etc.

Asus ROG Strix B350-F & AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU & Motherboard Bundle - £277.93

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4 PC4-21300 BLS2C4G4D26BFSB (Grey) - £86.39

960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW 250GB M.2 NVMe - £116.92

GeForce GTX 970 Asus Strix 4GB GDDR5 - Already own

£481.24

$635.16 usd

$802.89 canadian Rupees

using 2 x GD245HQ 120hz 24" mainly using for CSGO but some modern AAA games. General workstation and some (a little) video work. Had the CPU for quite a while and i feel like a upgrade.

have i overlooked anything at all? i am unsure of the performance on Ryzen of single RANK memory. over dual and one further over a single stick over 2 sticks.

my understanding is i would also not see the benefit of high clocked memory as the advantages of these are only seen within high end GPUs. any thoughts on my parts list please?

Thanks

Rich

Single rank memory was initially more stable at higher speeds with Ryzen, however i don't think it is a big issue any more? Definitely run 2 sticks instead of one. however dont go for 4 sticks (less likely to work at higher speeds, and gives less options for future upgrades).

Looks to be a pretty decent build though.

Ryzen prefers single rank RAM, as it makes easier to reach higher frequencies. The "infinity fabric" in the CPU runs at the RAM speed, so faster RAM (preferably with low latency) will improve CPU performance. If you'll just get 8GB, a single 8GB stick is what I recommend, for better compatibility, in case you upgrade to 16GB, and it leaves room for more RAM, should the need arise (hopefully when RAM support improves).

Other than that, the motherboard and CPU are at a very decent price, and it seems like you might benefit from the NVMe drive. Make sure you actually benefit from it, otherwise it's ømey down the drain, compared to just a regular SATA SSD

Edited by seon123
Damn autocorrect

:)

17 minutes ago, richyrichuk said:

using 2 x GD245HQ 120hz 24" mainly using for CSGO but some modern AAA games. General workstation and some (a little) video work. Had the CPU for quite a while and i feel like a upgrade.

have i overlooked anything at all? i am unsure of the performance on Ryzen of single RANK memory. over dual and one further over a single stick over 2 sticks.

my understanding is i would also not see the benefit of high clocked memory as the advantages of these are only seen within high end GPUs. any thoughts on my parts list please?

It's not a bad looking setup. Widely considered the best B350 board available, but I would still recommend checking Asus' supported memory list (QVL) for something known to work, but I'd say there's a good chance the kit will work fine provided you update the bios to the most recent version for updated memory compatibility. And you're correct regarding high clocked memory only seeing significant advantages while using the most high-end GPUs, but in my opinion, if you can get 3200 for less than 10% more cost, it'd be worth it. There are performance increases, just not enough to really justify spending a great deal more. Between 2666 and 3200 is generally the sweet spot.

Other than perhaps a traditional 1 to 3tb storage drive to keep bulky, rarely used files off the SSD.. your setup looks good.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

22 minutes ago, richyrichuk said:

Good evening I am looking for some much appreciated valuable advice please.

I currently have a 1155 build so I will be using my existing case, GPU and PSU amongst other HDD's etc.

£481.24

$635.16 usd

$802.89 canadian Rupees

Thanks

Rich

do not buy that ram. get a faster kit at lower CAS latency. this cas 16 kit is likely to not even work at XMP speed. single vs dual rank won't change anything at this point. the timings will though. i recommend G-Skill

and speed does matter for ryzen. it's a architecture thing with how the northbridge is implemented between the two compute complex units

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Everyone else is all over the RAM, so I'm here to say that's an awesome profile picture. I spent many a lovely night in middle School with Commander Keen.

Thanks for quick useful advice lads. 

I think per your comment @seon123 I will stick with a single rank 8GB and upgrade in the near future. 

@johndms I am still rocking a couple of 10k HDDs and another 240GB SSD for now atleast I do need a high capacity drive though. 

@SquintyG33Rs I'm trying to match price with performance for about 6 months then upgrade RAM again. Either complete new kit or expand current selection. My understanding is that at my potential build I would not yield a reasonable benefit for the hiked prices in RAM. 

I need to find a low latency 2666 single 8GB stick for now then I feel after the above feedback. Any recommendations are welcome as RAM isn't my strong point ;)

@Ryujin2003 same here my friend. The good times spent. But the fish. The fiiiiish!!!!

Quotvery+truequot+yeah+very+true+_adfdc8

Spoiler

3 hours ago, richyrichuk said:

@SquintyG33Rs I'm trying to match price with performance for about 6 months then upgrade RAM again. Either complete new kit or expand current selection. My understanding is that at my potential build I would not yield a reasonable benefit for the hiked prices in RAM. 

I need to find a low latency 2666 single 8GB stick for now then I feel after the above feedback. Any recommendations are welcome as RAM isn't my strong point ;)

ram didn't used to be my strong point until i took an arrow to the ryzen.... and i ended up testing and researching all of it over 2 weeks. G-skill trident Z kits are very very solid you just need to make sure you buy a kit that is cas 15 or lower to make sure you can take 100% profit from it. i'd recommend 3000Mhz because it's a solid 30% speed boost for the infinity fabric (2666 is only +15%) and makes over a 20% performance uplift at stock on ryzen. (i can share you the cinebench scores in details when i get back home). and until that speed there isn't much of a price premium for the speed, only a price set for the kit brand itself (mine was 200CAD for 2x8GB for the RGB one which is often cheaper because of it's popularity and sales).

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

@SquintyG33Rs I am learning all ryzen owners are Ram pros. So I just Google/ebay'd/amazon's it I'm not sure if I'm more shocked at the price or the lack of supply. Ok the pain is real. $270 CAD seems to be the rate for a 16GB kit but stock isn't a thing. 

Hmmm ok I need to have a think as that is just a little heavy on the old wallet and I am not finding anyone that has broken a kit down. 

Think possibly back to cheap alternative for now :(

9 hours ago, richyrichuk said:

Ok u have found 

HyperX Savage DDR4 HX430C15SB2/8 8 GB 3000 MHz DDR4 CL15

it's not cheaper but I can buy a single stick for under £90

Yeah that should work. There's also a possibility for you to find ram on the used market that will work. A friend of mine did that here and saved himself a few bucks

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

ok, so there is only £10-£15 between high and low end speeds even though i wont direclty see benefit might aswel go for the higher clock for when i eventually upgrade GPU in 12/18 months.

thanks for advice!