Any way to copy over Steam and RL to a PC without internet?

Ricardo56

So because of bad planning, I still don't have internet on my new desktop (I think I only managed to install the graphics card's drivers) and I was wondering if I'll be able to just put everything Steam related on a drive and then dump it in my desktop?

Thanks and sorry if it's a common question I should've looked up instead

I have done that before and it's pretty hit or miss. Sometimes the game will require an update even on the latest version sometimes it just works can't say for sure.

You should be able to copy and re-validate all the files, which will save you downloading 99% of it.  That said, even though Steam supports playing offline, I believe you will need internet access to log in in the first place, and some games may not work in multiplayer situations without an update, if one has been released since you last played.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You should be able to copy and re-validate all the files, which will save you downloading 99% of it.  That said, even though Steam supports playing offline, I believe you will need internet access to log in in the first place, and some games may not work in multiplayer situations without an update, if one has been released since you last played.

I just finished a 3.5 gb Rocket League update on my laptop, I'll probably quit if it gets another update 

For the login I'm not sure what to do tbh. Do laptops have pcie wifi cards or are they integrated in the mobo? I have another spare laptop I don't use ._.

11 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

I just finished a 3.5 gb Rocket League update on my laptop, I'll probably quit if it gets another update 

For the login I'm not sure what to do tbh. Do laptops have pcie wifi cards or are they integrated in the mobo? I have another spare laptop I don't use ._.

They do, they look like this:

Spoiler

PCI-Express-Micro-Wireless-Card.jpg

And there are often 2 wires leading away from the corners as antennae

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

21 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They do, they look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

PCI-Express-Micro-Wireless-Card.jpg

And there are often 2 wires leading away from the corners as antennae

Alright I found it. How do I go about the antenna (only one wire)? Just remove it?

image.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Alright I found it. How do I go about the antenna (only one wire)? Just remove it?

Yes. Just be careful with it, those things are fragile.

On a side note, if the game doesn't use Steamworks (i.e., there's no steam.dll file in the game's install folder somewhere), it's likely it doesn't actually need Steam to run. This is almost certainly true with the DOS games you can buy there.