ALIENWARE 15 R3 2017(7700HQ&1070) is it still worth it? Or wait Coffee-Lake?

Hello guys!

Previously, I planned to buy a PC Tower for my college uses. I'm an Architecture student and I'm planning to use it mainly for Archicad, Autocad, Cinema4D Rendering, and Sketchup. But suddenly my 2011 MacBook Pro start failing on me, the wifi Won't work, The DVD player wouldn't Eject, and now it starts to shut down randomly without no reason. So I changed my plan from buying a PC to a Laptop. Because I need the portability of a laptop, I need a laptop that i can bring to my class, I can ring it to my friend place for Project collaboration, and other.  

Currently, I'm Considering a Second Hand Alienware 15 R3 with 7700HQ with Nvidia 1070 for 24.000.000,00 IDR (I'm located In Indonesia)/ 2299,00 CAD. Remember, here in Indonesia computer prices are very high a base list Alienware 15R with 1060 can cost 35.000.000,00 IDR. or my backup plan, if the unit isn't available anymore, is to buy an ASUS ROG GL502VM with 1060 for the same price. 

My Current problem or confusion is the laptop still worth it? or should I wait for Coffee-Lake? My Program mainly uses processors, So processor performance is a very big consideration value. I haven't heard any leak/information for Coffee lake performance laptop processor, but looking at the desktop side there should be a performance bump for Coffee-lake. 

So should I take the Alienware 15 R3 with 7700HQ and 1070? or wait for Coffee-lake Performance Laptop? 

Thanks! Best Regards, 

Adhie

If take the Alienware. They last a very long time. If you can get a good price on second hand, I don't think it's worth the time and extra cash to upgrade from 7700 to 8700 IMO. The Alienware R3 was great at release, is great now, and will be great for a while to come.

13 minutes ago, Adhieis said:

Hello guys!

Previously, I planned to buy a PC Tower for my college uses. I'm an Architecture student and I'm planning to use it mainly for Archicad, Autocad, Cinema4D Rendering, and Sketchup. But suddenly my 2011 MacBook Pro start failing on me, the wifi Won't work, The DVD player wouldn't Eject, and now it starts to shut down randomly without no reason. So I changed my plan from buying a PC to a Laptop. Because I need the portability of a laptop, I need a laptop that i can bring to my class, I can ring it to my friend place for Project collaboration, and other.  

Currently, I'm Considering a Second Hand Alienware 15 R3 with 7700HQ with Nvidia 1070 for 24.000.000,00 IDR (I'm located In Indonesia)/ 2299,00 CAD. Remember, here in Indonesia computer prices are very high a base list Alienware 15R with 1060 can cost 35.000.000,00 IDR. or my backup plan, if the unit isn't available anymore, is to buy an ASUS ROG GL502VM with 1060 for the same price. 

My Current problem or confusion is the laptop still worth it? or should I wait for Coffee-Lake? My Program mainly uses processors, So processor performance is a very big consideration value. I haven't heard any leak/information for Coffee lake performance laptop processor, but looking at the desktop side there should be a performance bump for Coffee-lake. 

So should I take the Alienware 15 R3 with 7700HQ and 1070? or wait for Coffee-lake Performance Laptop? 

Thanks! Best Regards,

Adhie

Yeah. I would take the alienware. They are great computers and very durable. Just overpriced. but if prices are high for you anyways and you are buying it second hand it sounds fine. The 7700HQ is still a fine little CPU and will do well in whatever you want it to do.

The coffee lake Alienwares will probably release way into 2018, and they're likely to run a lot hotter. The R3 with a 7700HQ and a GTX 1070 is better than most people's gaming PCs, I'd say go for that.

Thanks for the reply, Guys! 

After hearing a lot of good responses. I think I will grab the Alienware 15 R3. Hope no one grabs it before me!! 

Thanks for the information!

I will post soon after I got the unit.