First time really overclocking my gpu

AnTicXz

So I have A 980ti extreme gaming form gigabyte and I really want to get the extra prefomance potential this this has to offer. One of these https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125837... Anyways I know there is a lot of things you can do with A gpu get to get the extra prefomance. This thing has an extra 6 pin connector even in it's side for extra power for extreme overclocking. But I have 2 dedicated 8 pins and I feel the extra 6 pin is to extra. I have also recently replaced the thermal paste on my gpu so the overall temp is now lower. In short I just want to get all the preformance I can out of this thing. Except maybe the bios flash that scares my but if it is easy I will do it

1 minute ago, CODboyX said:

So I have A 980ti extreme gaming form gigabyte and I really want to get the extra prefomance potential this this has to offer. One of these https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125837... Anyways I know there is a lot of things you can do with A gpu get to get the extra prefomance. This thing has an extra 6 pin connector even in it's side for extra power for extreme overclocking. But I have 2 dedicated 8 pins and I feel the extra 6 pin is to extra. I have also recently replaced the thermal paste on my gpu so the overall temp is now lower. In short I just want to get all the preformance I can out of this thing. Except maybe the bios flash that scares my but if it is easy I will do it

I have a 1200 watt gold psu so power is fine

If you really want to get the most at least use the 6 pin for extra power. Why a BIOS flash though? Just use Afterburner and overclock.

Install MSI afterburner and set power limit to the max, then up the memory in 50MHZ increments and the core in 25 until you start to get crashes in applications or the sound from the fans is too much for you to take.

When you get to that point back it down 5mhz at a time till its stable.

At least that's what I would do with that card.

4 minutes ago, CODboyX said:

What are your current spec's ? I.e

Core clock
Mem Clock

Etc

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

If you really want to get the most at least use the 6 pin for extra power. Why a BIOS flash though? Just use Afterburner and overclock.

I know a bios flash can help in some cases

Just now, CODboyX said:

No, don't mess with that, it is risky and the gain will be so small if any.

Just now, CODboyX said:

Lets just get you overclocking normally first... Trust me as someone thats borked a flash before (did manage to recover it) you do not need that stress yet. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Just now, Hayabusa1989 said:

What are your current spec's ? I.e

Core clock
Mem Clock

Etc

Everything is at stock right now with this card. 

Just now, Hayabusa1989 said:

Lets just get you overclocking normally first... Trust me as someone thats borked a flash before (did manage to recover it) you do not need that stress yet. 

Well this is not the first time but I know how to do the basics but this is not A normal card it's really me asking how do I get the most out of this card... Because this card is a beast and not a normal mid tier card I'm used to

5 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Install MSI afterburner and set power limit to the max, then up the memory in 50MHZ increments and the core in 25 until you start to get crashes in applications or the sound from the fans is too much for you to take.

When you get to that point back it down 5mhz at a time till its stable.

At least that's what I would do with that card.

I concur, solid enough advice.

4 minutes ago, CODboyX said:

Everything is at stock right now with this card. 

Don't even think about a BIOS flash without doing manual overclocking first.

To OC your gpu, get ASUS GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner. You will also need AIDA 64 to stress test the OC to make sure that it's stable. DO NOT BIOS FLASH, YOU MAY BRICK YOUR CARD! OC in roughly 50MHz increments until you hit the clocks you are comfortable with.