BSOD, blocked access to graphics hardware, black screen, no signal

Hi, I'm asking for help on behalf of a friend of mine.

Yesterday he got a distorted image after waking his pc up from sleep, but it didn't happen again after a restart. Since then he couldn't start his game and he got the message that the app has been blocked from accessing the graphics hardware, and two bluescreen code 116 appeared. Most guides suggest to use DDU and reinstall the driver. So far the driver has been removed, but every time he starts to install the driver, doesn't matter which way (windows update, device manager, nvidia setup, ...) it always causes a black screen followed by no signal, and needing to hard reset his system. He's using an old GTX 460. Any other chances to get it working again, or is it pretty much dead?

11 minutes ago, geollum said:

Hi, I'm asking for help on behalf of a friend of mine.

Yesterday he got a distorted image after waking his pc up from sleep, but it didn't happen again after a restart. Since then he couldn't start his game and he got the message that the app has been blocked from accessing the graphics hardware, and two bluescreen code 116 appeared. Most guides suggest to use DDU and reinstall the driver. So far the driver has been removed, but every time he starts to install the driver, doesn't matter which way (windows update, device manager, nvidia setup, ...) it always causes a black screen followed by no signal, and needing to hard reset his system. He's using an old GTX 460. Any other chances to get it working again, or is it pretty much dead?

Sound like a dead GPU but not 100%. Best (and probably only real way to test) is using another GPU in place and try that one.

I now thought about another possible cause: the motherboard could cause errors, because at the same time one hdd started to report a corrupted filesystem.

We currently don't have a way to test in another system.