Phone

TheCheese

Note 8 or iPhone X.

I don't mind software or design, I use both Android and iOS daily and love each one.

Which one is the better phone overall? and why?

p.s. I don't mind alternate options

I'd go with the X, but I do NOT like the way they implemented gestures. But I also hate the placement of the fingerprint scanner on the Note 8, from everything I've seen it's a pain to reach. I'd say they both have their drawbacks, but are both fast, have great screens, cameras, and most likely battery life. So go with whichever you like most, as the "best" phone is the one you want, we can't decide for you. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

best" phone is the one you want, we can't decide for you. 

I understand that but this would be my alternate research to see what the community thinks of it and may possibly introduce an idea I hadn't thought of.

Just now, TheCheese said:

I understand that but this would be my alternate research to see what the community thinks of it and may possibly introduce an idea I hadn't thought of.

Hmmm... I know the Note lineup is very nice, and I don't think the iPhone X is all that amazing, most of the features are still on the 8 Plus. What do you use your phone for the most? Samsung is really good at multitasking, but if you're mainly a camera guy then iPhone's have a very simple and fast camera. They also shoot 4K 60fps if you're into that. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Objectively, the Note 8 is likely the better phone, it just has more features and usability, owing to the Spen and larger screen. 

It does have a terribly place fingerprint scanner though. As in, what the hell was Samsung thinking type placement. People complained about the placement on the S8 and S8+, so they decided to keep the placement and make the phone bigger. That's kind of a deal breaker for me. Then again, the complete lack of a fingerprint scanner is an even bigger deal breaker on the iPhone X. 

Personally, I wouldn't actually go for either of them. I can't stand iOS (it feels super cluttered and the lack of customisation annoys me) and the Note 8 is too big with features I'll never use (SPen, for example). I'd personally go with an S8+. 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Hmmm... I know the Note lineup is very nice, and I don't think the iPhone X is all that amazing, most of the features are still on the 8 Plus. What do you use your phone for the most? Samsung is really good at multitasking, but if you're mainly a camera guy then iPhone's have a very simple and fast camera. They also shoot 4K 60fps if you're into that. 

I have an all round use for my device, gaming, photography, (not really any social media), longevity, practicality (If the X had an under-display reader I would've not even considered the note 8, ease of use, in-box stuff ( I don't want to buy additional accessories even though I have the basics) etc...

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'd personally go with an S8+

I considered this but my problem with the S8+ is camera and software updates (wtf is wrong with Samsung). The advantage would be the price to features ratio but the software updates is really bugging me to be honest.

1 minute ago, Ethocreeper said:

definitely the note 8

Y?

2 minutes ago, TheCheese said:

I have an all round use for my device, gaming, photography, (not really any social media), longevity, practicality (If the X had an under-display reader I would've not even considered the note 8, ease of use, in-box stuff ( I don't want to buy additional accessories even though I have the basics) etc...

go for the X

it does almost everything better that you want.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I considered this but my problem with the S8+ is camera and software updates (wtf is wrong with Samsung). The advantage would be the price to features ratio but the software updates is really bugging me to be honest.

Have you looked at the Pixel 2? I've not looked at it much because I think the front is ugly as hell, but it may be worth considering. 

Y?

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Objectively, the Note 8 is likely the better phone, it just has more features and usability, owing to the Spen and larger screen. 

It does have a terribly place fingerprint scanner though. As in, what the hell was Samsung thinking type placement. People complained about the placement on the S8 and S8+, so they decided to keep the placement and make the phone bigger. That's kind of a deal breaker for me. Then again, the complete lack of a fingerprint scanner is an even bigger deal breaker on the iPhone X. 

Personally, I wouldn't actually go for either of them. I can't stand iOS (it feels super cluttered and the lack of customisation annoys me) and the Note 8 is too big with features I'll never use (SPen, for example). I'd personally go with an S8+. 

3 minutes ago, TheCheese said:

Hmmm... iPhones live a lot longer update wise. Are your faves games on iOS? Both will do very well at photography, and both are as practical as a modern flagship can be. Though is it more of a pain to use the fingerprint scanner on the Note 8 or Face ID or whatever it's called on the iPhone X?

Main PC 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Pixel 2?

Yes but the problem I find with pixels is that I find that the look atrocious and Im the type of guy who really doesn't mind bezels so long as the phone looks good or performs really well hence my current daily drivers being the S7 Edge and 6s

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

faves games on iOS?

Yup, tho an alternate version for android is available like Asphalt 8, its not as well optimized. Tho the notch on the X is f***ing annoying me, and I had used it at the event and while portrait use of the device is really nice, the landscape usability is really irritating 

30 minutes ago, TheCheese said:

Yes but the problem I find with pixels is that I find that the look atrocious and Im the type of guy who really doesn't mind bezels so long as the phone looks good or performs really well hence my current daily drivers being the S7 Edge and 6s

if you are talking about the back, a dbrand skin should work. personally i think the design of pixel 2 XL is not bad (put back color design aside). And the front facing speaker is a plus.

I would go for note8 because of the headphone jack. not that its a deal breaker for personal use, but i just dont want to support company that removes it.