Windows 10 Help

Slaxc

Building my very first PC tomorrow and all I need now is Windows on a flashdrive. I installed the media creation tool from Windows and proceeded to insert my flashdrive and it's on "Downloading Windows 10" I'm not sure exactly what this means, will I still need to buy a product key from Reddit or can it use the Windows 10 I already have on my laptop and move it over to my PC? I'm new to this stuff so I apologize.

10 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Building my very first PC tomorrow and all I need now is Windows on a flashdrive. I installed the media creation tool from Windows and proceeded to insert my flashdrive and it's on "Downloading Windows 10" I'm not sure exactly what this means, will I still need to buy a product key from Reddit or can it use the Windows 10 I already have on my laptop and move it over to my PC? I'm new to this stuff so I apologize.

This only creates what you need to install the OS there is no key or license involved, so essentially you have the 30 day trail Windows 10. The media creation tool is available mainly for those looking to run their OS under the Previewers builds. You will need to purchase a license otherwise to be legit.

You can purchase the license from Microsoft or Amazon. I dont personally recommend purchasing from Reddit or Kinguin or any other grey market vendor. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

When windows 10 has finished downloading, and you enter the desktop, you can activated windows with your product key when your in the desktop, or your can do it when ti requests for it during the installation process. During the installation process, you can click "I dont have my product key right now" and this will automatically take you do the setup process. You can also activate windows from another product key as well.

Just now, SansVarnic said:

This only creates what you need to install the OS there is no key or license involved, so essentially you have the trial, 30 Windows 10. The media creation tool is available mainly for those looking to run their OS under the Previewers builds. You will need to purchase a license otherwise to be legit.

You can purchase the license from Microsoft or Amazon. I dont personally recommend purchasing from Reddit or Kinguin or any other grey market vendor. 

Why don't you recommend buying from Reddit?

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

When windows 10 has finished downloading, and you enter the desktop, you can activated windows with your product key when your in the desktop, or your can do it when ti requests for it during the installation process. During the installation process, you can click "I dont have my product key right now" and this will automatically take you do the setup process. You can also activate windows from another product key as well.

Yeah I still need to buy a product key, I wanted to buy a legit one from Amazon but really cannot afford it.

Alright it said my flashdrive was finished. Now all I need is a product key correct? Once I install windows on my new PC I just need to enter that product key and I should be good right?

3 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Why don't you recommend buying from Reddit?

Many reasons but mostly you risk buying a non-legit key. Hence the Grey market term I used.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Many reasons but mostly you risk buying a non-legit key. Hence the Grey market term I used.

If I could afford a real one I would, I'll probably take my chances with the Reddit key. I hope it works ;/ 

My flashdrive just finished so basically after building my pc I plug my flashdrive in and boot it up and what not and then I'll need to enter a product key and after that I should be good right?

From kinguin, they generally cost around 20-$30 in price, when you buy it from a big vendor such as amazon, they can range from 80-$120 from my knowledge. Kinguin do have cheaper product keys, but they dont have warranty, so if something goes wrong with windows, you are going to have to deal with it, although kinguinkinguin do provide a buyers protection, but it generally costs +$7.50

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

From kinguin, they generally cost around 20-$30 in price, when you buy it from a big vendor such as amazon, they can range from 80-$120 from my knowledge. Kinguin do have cheaper product keys, but they dont have warranty, so if something goes wrong with windows, you are going to have to deal with it, although kinguinkinguin do provide a buyers protection, but it generally costs +$7.50

Would you recommend Kenguin or microsoftsoftwareswap on reddit? Is there any differences in the keys? 

4 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

If I could afford a real one I would, I'll probably take my chances with the Reddit key. I hope it works ;/ 

My flashdrive just finished so basically after building my pc I plug my flashdrive in and boot it up and what not and then I'll need to enter a product key and after that I should be good right?

FYI you buy it and find has issues ... non-legit for instance .. you cannot ask for help from the forum. If its just broke yeah we can help with that.

Sorry not trying to be negative or a kiljoy.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Slaxc said:

5 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Alright it said my flashdrive was finished. Now all I need is a product key correct? Once I install windows on my new PC I just need to enter that product key and I should be good right?

Yep, all you need is the product key to activate windows. As I meantioned above, you can skip the product key during the installation process and then when you are on the desktop, you can activate windows with the product key, but be aware that when you skip this step, this will be the unactivated version of windows 10 and there will be a big watermark on the screen that says "unactivated version" or something, and sometimes in different games, this watermark will appear during game as well.

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

FYI you buy it and find has issues ... non-legit for instance .. you cannot ask for help from the forum. If its just broke yeah we can help with that.

I don't quite understand? If I get Windows, legit or not, and I need help with something, I can't come on here and ask for help?

1 minute ago, Slaxc said:

Would you recommend Kenguin or microsoftsoftwareswap on reddit? Is there any differences in the keys? 

I would recommend kinguin, they have buyers protection which does have a cost associated with which is +$7.50 if you want the extra protection when buying the product.

I would recommend kinguin, they have buyers protection which does have a cost associated with which is +$7.50 if you want the extra protection when buying the product.

I most likely wont get the extra protection. What is OEM btw? I know they don't get extra technical support but will it affect my system in way? Will I not get updates? 

3 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Also, is Pro worth it? On Kinguin Home is 28$ and Pro is 30$, what is the difference?

I bought two Win versions from Kinguin 1 1/2 years ago and no probs.

Buyer insurance was only around a buck.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Just now, wONKEyeYEs said:

I bought two Win versions from Kinguin 1 1/2 years ago and no probs.

Buyer insurance was only around a buck.

Thanks a ton, did you buy Pro or Home, its a 2$ difference, I might aswell go Pro right?

Just now, Slaxc said:

id you buy Pro or Home

Both, not much diff for me.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

Just now, wONKEyeYEs said:

Which one do I get? Does Pro have increased performance or anything like that? If not I'll save my 2$ lol. I was looking at the features and none of them looked appealing/

1 minute ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Also, how fast did you get the key? I need it tonight

4 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

I most likely wont get the extra protection. What is OEM btw? I know they don't get extra technical support but will it affect my system in way? Will I not get updates? 

OEM, or original equipment manufacturer, means that a company has produced a product that meybey marked by another manufacturer. E.g. russel hobbs makes toasters, which are used on Big W's website, russel hobbs is the OEM manufacturer becuase it is produced by them, sold my another company.

7 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Also, is Pro worth it? On Kinguin Home is 28$ and Pro is 30$, what is the difference?

Esentially, windows 10 pro has more additional features than the home edition, so basically, for the $2 difference, your getting more added features by getting windows 10 pro.

7 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

Also, how fast did you get the key? I need it tonight

This depends on where you live, shipping can be generally determined upon where you live.

This depends on where you live, shipping can be generally determined upon where you live.

Shipping? Don't they just email me the key lol. I live in US btw

24 minutes ago, Slaxc said:

I don't quite understand? If I get Windows, legit or not, and I need help with something, I can't come on here and ask for help?

No I said if it is not legit you cant ask for help ... Basically if you purchase a key and it is not legit (cracked/hacked/illegal) 

It falls under this;

• Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

If the key is just broke and legit we can help you out.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER