ssd migration os help

kee23

hello,

I recently got the samsung 840 evo 120gb ssd and I want to migrate os to this ssd. but i don't have the usb transfer cable to migrate it. They didn't came with it i thought they would.

So to migrate os without the cable, can i just do it by connecting sata and power from the ps for migration process?

or is it has to use usb cable for it?

thanks

I don't see why this would not work.

The usb adapter is a nice to have. You would get faster transfers with using sata rather than usb.

I personally would do a clean install rather than attempting to clone, less to go wrong especially since it is most likely you had a larger HDD before the transfer.

hello,

I recently got the samsung 840 evo 120gb ssd and I want to migrate os to this ssd. but i don't have the usb transfer cable to migrate it. They didn't came with it i thought they would.

So to migrate os without the cable, can i just do it by connecting sata and power from the ps for migration process?

or is it has to use usb cable for it?

thanks

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

in order to migrate the OS (as in literally move it directly without using a backup image) you will need to use something like Clonezilla which can also copy the bootloader - problem being that most programs like that can only move to a drive the same size or bigger than the original drive. If you don't clone the drive in some way other than a simple "copy paste" operation the partition won't be bootable.

I don't see why this would not work.

The usb adapter is a nice to have. You would get faster transfers with using sata rather than usb.

I personally would do a clean install rather than attempting to clone, less to go wrong especially since it is most likely you had a larger HDD before the transfer.

well i'm hoping that it wouldn't get wrong, because this ssd comes with a migration software that they say that it helps migrate easily step by step.

and yes, it going to migrate from large used hard drive. i'm not sure how it migrates whether what will happens to the program files(x86) folder like this.