Cortana and Speech recognition not working

I just updated my laptop to this -

2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4040724)

since then, the speech recognition software and Cortana has stopped listening or recognising speech at all, even those bars for listening sounds doesn't move.
FYI - all other mic operations works perfectly like sound recorder, skype, even google voice recog. on chrome.

How do I fix it please help...

-- BSOD : ( --

Just now, mpsparrow said:

Why would you even be using Cortana?

Mebbe he's Master Chief in disguise.... you know he would never leave Cortana. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, mpsparrow said:

Well, I like using any kind of assistant, no matter how basic it is.
I wanna exploit it!

Check in the settings>privacy>>speech, ink, and typing to make sure that speech services and typing suggestions is turned on

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

2 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Check in the settings>privacy>>speech, ink, and typing to make sure that speech services and typing suggestions is turned on

It's on, still restarted it, didn't work though.
Thanks

Hmm. Check the settings of Cortana. Make sure the language is right, "Hey Cortana" is enabled, and all that. (If it is on, turn if off, and turn it back on). Also, check under Privacy section of the Windows Settings panel, under Microphone and see if Cortana has permission. (if it is enabled, turn it off, and turn it back on). Restart your PC after.

1 hour ago, mpsparrow said:

It does a couple of cool things. i use it as a reminder when to leave for work and package tracker. I don't realy use the voice recognition stuff. I do use Cortana voice recognition when in the car to change music playlist, send SMS, or have it read SMSs received.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Hmm. Check the settings of Cortana. Make sure the language is right, "Hey Cortana" is enabled, and all that. (If it is on, turn if off, and turn it back on). Also, check under Privacy section of the Windows Settings panel, under Microphone and see if Cortana has permission. (if it is enabled, turn it off, and turn it back on). Restart your PC after.

Checked and recheked it multiple times already.. :(

27 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Checked and recheked it multiple times already.. :(

Oh :/

Try the Windows troubleshooter. In the start menu search box, type: setup  mic, and you should see: "Set up a microphone"

Pick it. A panel will show with a loading bar, once done it you'll have the option to say that Cortana can't hear you. Try that.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh :/

Try the Windows troubleshooter. In the start menu search box, type: setup  mic, and you should see: "Set up a microphone"

Pick it. A panel will show with a loading bar, once done it you'll have the option to say that Cortana can't hear you. Try that.

Did that too, did the sfc /scannow 
Some trying to reinstall cortana from powershell, which didn't completed
Some system checks on powershell.
nothing worked

57 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Did that too, did the sfc /scannow 
Some trying to reinstall cortana from powershell, which didn't completed
Some system checks on powershell.
nothing worked

If you create a new account, and go to it, and setup Cortana. Does it work there?

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you create a new account, and go to it, and setup Cortana. Does it work there?

Unfortunately no.
Also FYI, the Microsoft community suggested me those above fixes and the last fix was to upgrade install or clean install windows...

28 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Unfortunately no.
Also FYI, the Microsoft community suggested me those above fixes and the last fix was to upgrade install or clean install windows...

Microsoft community is not great, you tend to have, most of the time, better help elsewhere.

Clean install will definitely solve your problem (unless it is a driver bug of some kind in the latest version, but you said it all works fine elsewhere), but that is the quick way out. And, if you are going to re-install, might as well wait for October 17, where Fall Creator Update, a new update of Windows 10, is released. Clean install to that, is what I mean.

Do you happen to have multiple microphone? I mean, you have the Mic in of your sound card. But are you it? Or are using something like USB headset, or USB microphone, or webcam microphone? I am asking, and sorry if you mentioned this, I am not quickly seeing it, but did you check that your correct microphone is selected as default? (Start > type: Sound > pick the "Sound" control panel item > Recording > Right-click on your mic and pick "Set default device", and "Set default communicator device". If it is already select, set both default to some other items, and set it back.). Now try.

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, even I was thinking to install an update instead of reinstalling this version back.
Sound card mic is disabled, as it asks every time what device have I plugged in (Dolby Audio) like mic, headphones, headsets, speakers, etc.
In short, yes my inbuilt mic is the default one, as if it were not, google wouldn't have worked on chrome.