Need help with a coolant

Dreaper
3 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

so i got this coolant http://www.performance-pcs.com/mayhems-pastel-coolant-1-liter-uv-white.html and then i saw a vid from Jay saying that pastel coolants are really bad is this true? should i get a different type if so please tell me which one. If you need anymore info just ask

The pastel coolants are fine, there are always some outliers or problems that can occur but with the proper loop preparation and design it shouldn't give you an problems. 

So a few things about Pastel's.. the ones with Red in them like the Purple, Red, Orange, etc.. the Red reacts badly to the heat causing the colors to change and not hold true to its original colors. 2nd, Looking at Paul's Hardware video of white pastel in his Arctic Panther build, his CPU block was gummed up like crazy from the stuff. I honestly now stay away from the pastels in my loops. I am just using distilled water and a Biocide in there. Nothing more. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

So a few things about Pastel's.. the ones with Red in them like the Purple, Red, Orange, etc.. the Red reacts badly to the heat causing the colors to change and not hold true to its original colors. 2nd, Looking at Paul's Hardware video of white pastel in his Arctic Panther build, his CPU block was gummed up like crazy from the stuff. I honestly now stay away from the pastels in my loops. I am just using distilled water and a Biocide in there. Nothing more. 

What are some ones that wont gunk it up much, like the one jay was using?

Just now, Dreaper said:

What are some ones that wont gunk it up much, like the one jay was using?

Honestly, as long as you perform regular loop maintenance, you shouldnt run into that problem. Paul did admit that he didnt perform loop maintenance/cleaning so its also a product of his own fault. But honestly, it can be easy to forget about until you start seeing your temps rising and rising and then its to late and you need to fully disassemble all your blocks and clean them out as the fin channels are gunked up. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

Honestly, as long as you perform regular loop maintenance, you shouldnt run into that problem. Paul did admit that he didnt perform loop maintenance/cleaning so its also a product of his own fault. But honestly, it can be easy to forget about until you start seeing your temps rising and rising and then its to late and you need to fully disassemble all your blocks and clean them out as the fin channels are gunked up. 

how often should i do maintenance? 

Just now, Dreaper said:

I will defer the authoritative answer to @W-L but I believe the general timeline is about once a year to do a drain and flush and put new fluids in. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Dreaper said:

Usually every 6-12 months is recommended, you should also check your seals on fittings and change any soft tubing that has discolored or gone stiff over time. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Usually every 6-12 months is recommended, you should also check your seals on fittings and change any soft tubing that has discolored or gone stiff over time. 

i cant find any other options that are mainstream anyways

Just now, Dreaper said:

i cant find any other options that are mainstream anyways

What do you mean in terms of mainstream? 

Just now, W-L said:

What do you mean in terms of mainstream? 

idk just ones people say are good there is the primo chill vue but it isnt out yet

1 minute ago, Dreaper said:

idk just ones people say are good there is the primo chill vue but it isnt out yet

In terms of coolants it mainly just depends on how you maintain it, the Mayhems options are well known just due to their history and options such as EKWB's croyfuel are good options.