CPU temperatures are hot and fluxuating

Michiell

processor: intel 4670k oc to 4.3ghz

cooler: arctic freezer 7

motherboard: asus h87plus

gpu: gtx 780

psu: 500w sharkoon, dont know exact number

note: gpu is underclocked to take max 80% wattage since psu might not be enough if i were to also stress gpu at the same time.

Hello reader,

I wanted to overclock my 4670k and I noticed that my cpu temperatures on hw monitor and realtemp are completely different from the ones on aisuite3 which comes with my motherboard. Under a intel burntest hwmonitor will put the cpu between 59-82 degrees celcius while aisuite3 will say it wont go over 56 degrees celcius.

Furthermore hw-monitor reports that during an intel burn test the cpu temperature will go to around 77-80 ish degrees and then suddenly spike down to 57+-3 degrees on all cores. I also note that the core speed seems to go slightly down(says taskmanager) but this is not always resulted in a sudden drop in temperature. 

Since i was a bit curious which ones of the temperatures were right I decided to touch the cpu heat sink, after a while of gaming + stress testing. It seems to be rather cool and can easily be touched for a long period of time, even close to the motherboard.

I have tested both programs individually with the other turned off and with both running at the same time, this does not result in a noticable difference.

Now, I do not know which of the values to trust, since the heatsink doesnt seem to be very warm. And should I be seeing such high temperatures, even if they were correct, with an overclock of 4.3ghz?

Thanks in advance,

Michiel

That's odd that you would get two readings,  But I'd generally trust which ever program reads the temp sensor on the CPU directly.  Depending on your mobo,  your BIOS would tell you.  I personally use speedfan when I'm feeling lazy.  Now as for your temps,  80c on a CPU is pretty normal on a STOCK fan and heatsink.  If you're really worried about it,  It might be time to get a different one. 

To answer your other question,  Yes,  when you OC a CPU,  you USUALLY get higher temps, which SHOULD heat up the heat sink.  A cold heatsink with a HOT CPU means something inst doing it's job.  Heat isn't transferring to the heatsink, so maybe you need to redo the thermal paste.

Alright, ill see if i can redo the paste, but I am not running a stock cooler. Im using the arctic cooler 7. 

Also the F7 isn't all that great of a cooler.  I would strongly advise to replace that power supply with something half decent.

I replaced the paste 3x and without any luck in lowering the temperatures, it stays the same ish. Actually with my last application of the paste the cpu claims to go to 86 degrees now.

If I look in aisuite though, it says it barely goes above 52 degrees on max load.

So which one should I believe? I believe that in the bios the values are the same as the values from aisuite.

Heres a picture with both results

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-01 at 14.49.23.jpeg