Network Card Undetected

Guilherme26

Hello

A few day a go my PC came back from maintenance and now I can't connect it to the internet and already tried to:

• Switch cables;
  • Reinstall my network card driver;
  • Switch the cable door on my router;
  • See if the card is disconnected;
  • Reboot the router and the PC.

I used a D-link DFE-520 TX and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits. My computer is the only one with this problem and the only one connect via ethernet cable to my house network.

So any advice?

Edit: The link lights are on on both ends.

Edit2: Reboot the router and the PC

Any link lights? Is it connecting to the network but just no internet?

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

3 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Any link lights? Is it connecting to the network but just no internet?

Yes, forgot to mention that, the  link lights turn on both ends.

So just no internet access then.

Have you tried simply rebooting your router?

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Just now, kagarium said:

So just no internet access then.

Have you tried simply rebooting your router?

Yes

Double check that your network card is set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS automatically. If they are already, you can try manually changing your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS). If that doesn't work, try also setting a static IP.

2 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Double check that your network card is set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS automatically. If they are already, you can try manually changing your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS). If that doesn't work, try also setting a static IP.

How I do it?

Right click on the network icon on your taskbar, and click network and sharing center. Go to 'change adapter settings', right click on your ethernet adapter, and click properties. Click on 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' and click properties. 

First change the option for the DNS server i suggested. Click the bubble that says 'Use following DNS server'

Preferred DNS Server: 8.8.8.8

Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4

Alternately you could also try and find your internet providers DNS but Google's should be fine

Check the box saying 'Validate settings upon exit', and click ok, then close. Windows troubleshooter should pop up and diagnose your connection.

If that doesn't work, to change the IP address, navigate back to the window you changed you DNS setting in.

Leave the DNS server as is. Click the bubble that says 'Use following IP address'

The Default Gateway should be your router's IP address. If you aren't sure what that is, look at your routers manual or check online.

Usually it's either:

The IP address has to be something in your router's IP range. Using the above default gateways for examples, it could be

In all cases, just make sure the first 3 sets on numbers are the same as your default gateway. The last one can be anything in between 2 and 254.

Subnet mask should fill itself out automatically. If not, set it to 255.255.255.0

Make sure 'Validate settings' is checked, click ok, then close. Troubleshooter should pop up again.

3 minutes ago, Guilherme26 said:

I get just a blank page on 'change adapter settings' part.

Does it show up in device manager under network adapters?

When I press 'change adapter settings" I get nothing between the task bar at the bottom and the address* bar at the top of the screen.

*: that is it's name?

You should be getting a windows that looks similar to this. 

network adapter.PNG

Take all those icons in the middle and you will have what I have. The problem I think is that my PC doesn't detect my network card, like it isn't plugged.

1 minute ago, Guilherme26 said:

The problem I think is that my PC doesn't detect my network card, like it isn't plugged.

Is it an actual card? Or is it built into your motherboard. If it's a card, try just taking it out, blow any dust off the card and slot, and put it back in.

Yes it is a actual card, my motherboard built in is dead for a long time, and I tried to blow the dust off.

Do you by any chance have any other cards you could test? It seems like you unfortunately might just have a bad card.

1 minute ago, Guilherme26 said:

No I don't:(. Probably I will have to buy a new one. Thank you for the help anyway.

No problem, its what I'm here for

44 minutes ago, Guilherme26 said:

No I don't:(. Probably I will have to buy a new one. Thank you for the help anyway.

Before you buy a new one. Have you tried to resit it? Different PCI-E slot? Install drivers?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.