Asus Strix Vega 64 Custom Card Performs Worse Than The Reference One

Master Disaster
4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Given the core frequency went down on the AIB I'm wondering if the inverse is true. Are RTG keeping all the high binned dies for reference and selling everything else to AIBPs?

Also why does Jay have a video out so early? I was expecting an influx of videos yesterday and yet his video seems to still be the only custom RX Vega video available. Did he get an early card or did he break embargo? Afaiwa AIBPs don't impose embargos on custom designs, right?

Well the video's still up so I think Asus got the ok to go ahead and Jay got the exclusive otherwise it would have been taken down by now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Considering ASUS is somehow getting this card out now despite literally every other AIB delaying or even being unsure if they're going to do custom cards, I'd lean on the side of it being the cooler instead of the chip itself, IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if a tear down of this card revealed it to be the same block from a 1080 Ti with only the most basic amount of modification to keep the VRMs from exploding.

Jay did say he lost the Silicon lottery for that particular GPU. For all you know, your Strix will be an epic overclocker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Dude, AMD cards these days are already comes from the factory at their limit. Because they try to match their gaming performance with Nvidia's. (and still fail). But in terms of raw performance (0/1), those are beasts. 

I'm still going with the AMD Vega STRIX. not sure if I'm going 56 or 64 though. My main reasoning is my desktop runs Linux. Open source drivers built right into the kernel. I love AMD and all, but they write terrible drivers. Opening the source allows many hands and minds to get involved cleaning up the mess and boosting performance. It also results in less hassle for Linux users like myself.

All these problems and here I am sitting with my 1080ti ftw3 in the 60's for temps and clocks in the 2000mhz range feels good. Wish amd pulled a 290x like they did during the 700 series and give someone a reason to choose a gpu with more power and harder to manage thermals in exchange for better performance in general.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

On 9/26/2017 at 6:59 AM, Misanthrope said:

Well the video's still up so I think Asus got the ok to go ahead and Jay got the exclusive otherwise it would have been taken down by now.

The others are waiting for an updated bios that fixes the power limit problem. Gamers nexus did a news video that talked about it recently. Or was it Paul's hardware and bitwits stream? I cant remember anymore but the point is that this is not Asus but rather AMD has to give the new bios Asus made the green light before it will start working.