GTX 1070 - Locked at 50fps (no CPU throttle)

I bought a brand new GTX 1070 yesterday and I was playing Witcher 3 on ultra settings and hitting between 55-60fps. 

But this morning its locked at 50fps and I'm not sure why. I took a look at GPU Tweak 2 for any FPS limiters, I reinstalled MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner and checked any FPS limiters there, and didn't find anything.

I tried restarting my PC LOL, but that didn't help either. I also unplugged and replugged my 8-pin power to my GPU.

So then I brought the settings down in TW3 to low on everything, and its still locked at 50fps. 

So I've run out of ideas here. Anyone able to help me out? 

I run a i5-4590 (LOCKED) CPU but I don't think its any throttling of the CPU. If it was, I should be able to get a bit higher on lower settings. But it wouldn't explain why I was getting 60fps last night anyway.

So....

Helpppp.

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

make sure that adaptive vsync is disabled in the drivers

I'm not sure how to do that, sorry. But since I don't know how to do that I couldn't have turned it on from last night. How could that explain the difference between the performances? 

Also how do you do that LOL. 

the game should have a frame limiter setting you should check as well, try other games too to see if it's limited to the witcher 3 or if it's system wide

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 minutes ago, RiqSha said:

I'm not sure how to do that, sorry. But since I don't know how to do that I couldn't have turned it on from last night. How could that explain the difference between the performances? 

Also how do you do that LOL. 

rightclick desktop > nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > vertical sync > force off, also make sure that ur gpu power settings is on prefer maximum performance

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

rightclick desktop > nvidia control panel > manage 3d settings > vertical sync > force off, also make sure that ur gpu power settings is on prefer maximum performance

Alright Vsync is forced off and gpu power settings are on max. I'll try and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

the game should have a frame limiter setting you should check as well, try other games too to see if it's limited to the witcher 3 or if it's system wide

Thats a good idea, I'm going to try Valkyrie's advice first and then run overwatch and something else to see what the FPS is at. 

24 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

I think there is something else wrong. 

I didn't haven't touched these settings since I got them and even now its stuck at 50fps, with the prefer max performance.

Could there be something with the graphics card? 

I didn't haven't touched these settings since I got them and even now its stuck at 50fps, with the prefer max performance.

if u have ur monitor/game set to 50hz and vsync enabled it will lock u in 50fps :P

(◑‿◐)

Just now, RiqSha said:

Whats the core clock when at full load ?

i recently had a bug in nvidia drivers that locked my core clock to 858 mhz while it should have been 1305

Let's agree to disagree

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

if u have ur monitor/game set to 50hz and vsync enabled it will lock u in 50fps :P

Monitor is at 60fps and game is at unlimited. hmm.. 

2 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

i recently had a bug in nvidia drivers that locked my core clock to 858 mhz while it should have been 1305

Interesting, let me try! 

Monitor is at 60fps and game is at unlimited. hmm.. 

the game can also set the monitor to 50hz with vsync enabled ^^

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

the game can also set the monitor to 50hz with vsync enabled ^^

Fair enough. I'm just concerned, because i don't get why this is an issue today and wasn't yesterday. 

Fair enough. I'm just concerned, because i don't get why this is an issue today and wasn't yesterday. 

r u sure theres no windows update installing in the background or smt o,o

(◑‿◐)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

r u sure theres no windows update installing in the background or smt o,o

Haha, no there isn't.

Hmmm. Maybe i'll reinstall the drivers.

9 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

its at the specified amount. Should I just reinstall them anyway? 

7 minutes ago, RiqSha said:

its at the specified amount. Should I just reinstall them anyway? 

Can always try, it can be that windows uses its auto update for gpu drivers too 

So do a clean instal with ddu and check the box that disables the auto win update shit (its in the ddu software)

Let's agree to disagree

4 hours ago, MrTiC said:

So do a clean instal with ddu and check the box that disables the auto win update shit (its in the ddu software)

So I reinstalled everything, and TW3 is still stuck at 50fps. However, Crysis 2 is running at 60fps. 

It was running fine yesterday, But I don't get what happened in that time.

4 hours ago, MrTiC said:

or just go to windowsbutton + r and press services.msc then disable windows update service :v

(◑‿◐)

2 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

or just go to windowsbutton + r and press services.msc then disable windows update service :v

So... I found out something interesting.

In full screen mode my game is capped at 50fps. In windowed/window without border mode my fps can stay at 60fps...

I.. don't know why this is happening.

I might make another thread on this just to figure it out.

30 minutes ago, RiqSha said:

So... I found out something interesting.

In full screen mode my game is capped at 50fps. In windowed/window without border mode my fps can stay at 60fps...

I.. don't know why this is happening.

I might make another thread on this just to figure it out.

sounds like vsync to me lol, it only activates vsync on fullscreen xD

(◑‿◐)