Is my boot order correct?

Omie

Is this the correct boot order?

I'm not entirely sure what windows boot manager is and if it should be the first boot option.

And should I flip my 2nd boot option to my SSD and 3rd boot option to my HDD instead?

Right now HDD is boot option 2 and SSD is boot option 3, with windows boot manager (SSD) being boot option 1 and my optical drive being the last boot option.

IMG_4811.JPG

@Omie I'm assuming you are using that SSD as a boot drive so that should be first after that doesn't really matter.

I think the boot manager just detects your boot drive and boots from that.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@Omie I'm assuming you are using that SSD as a boot drive so that should be first after that doesn't really matter.

I think the boot manager just detects your boot drive and boots from that.

Oh ok, so it's ok to leave boot manager as my first boot option?

Windows boot manager is the file that is created by windows that tells the rest of the computer what to do. The ROM(Read only memory) of the bios holds the location of that file and then the boot manger steps in to make sure that the OS is loading the right files and where to find then on the drive. I would leave it how it is as it suggests the the bios is going to that file on the drive that is second on the list. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

21 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Windows boot manager is the file that is created by windows that tells the rest of the computer what to do. The ROM(Read only memory) of the bios holds the location of that file and then the boot manger steps in to make sure that the OS is loading the right files and where to find then on the drive. I would leave it how it is as it suggests the the bios is going to that file on the drive that is second on the list. 

Hmm, well the drive second on my list is my HDD not my SSD. So maybe I should swap boot options 2 and 3. 

But in boot option 1 it says Windows Boot Manager with the name of my SSD in parenthesis.

@Omie It boots from your SSD automatically because the OS is installed on that.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

The "boot order" in the BIOS/UEFI only indicates what devices the PC will check first.

So first it's going to check the Windows Boot Manager (which is basically just the small 100MB partition that Windows creates during installation).  If it finds an OS (or a link to where the OS is) there, it will boot from that.  If it doesn't find anything usable there, it'll move to option 2 and so on until it has checked all boot options.  If none of them have an OS, you'll get an error message. 

So basically now you have your first option right, the ones after that don't matter.

Personally however I always have USB HDD and CD/DVD as option 1 and 2, with the system SSD (or HDD if the PC has no SSD) only as the third option.  This adds maybe a quarter of a second to the boot time but allows me to easily boot from a USB stick or a Windows DVD if I need to.