High CPU usage from explorer.exe

Go to solution Solved by roelversteeg,

I FOUND THE FIX. When the file audioses.dll was present in the folder C:/Windows then my cpu ramps up to 50%. 

I tried replacing the file with the same file from another pc, same effect of cpu usage. It is only when i completely delete the file that my pc runs normal.

very weird fix but it works and so far no problems without the .dll present

the problem

I have very high cpu usage from explorer.exe since a few days.

It uses about 50-70% cpu (always 2 of my 4 cores 100%)

what i tried already

I ran a lot of antimalware scanners, virus scanners etc and none of them found anything.

All of my drivers are up to date including windows

reinstall all audio drivers

details known about the problem file

I installed process explorer and in thread information I can see that 2 threads use about 25% CPU each under the process explorer.exe 

the start address of these 2 threads is both AUDIOSES.DLL+0x1141b0

when i start windows (with internet or without) it takes about 1 min for it to start.

my temporary fix

I can kill the 2 threads that use all the cpu and then it stays off until i restart my pc.

what can it be and how can i fix it.

I added a picture of the process

Information.png

A quick google search seems to suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your audio drivers could fix this issue.

Just now, Sack said:

A quick google search seems to suggest uninstalling and reinstalling your audio drivers could fix this issue.

As i said I already did that, no change

3 minutes ago, roelversteeg said:

As i said I already did that, no change

Sorry I was looking through two similar posts and mixed them a bit up. Have you checked your power profiles? Recently I had an update change my profiles, might be a profile limiting your clockspeeds.

Just now, MaxBunny said:

https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=explorer shell alternatives windows 10

Also, have you tried restarting the explorer process after your computer starts up? Lower its priority? Set affinity to 1 core?

If i restart explorer.exe it begins low cpu but again after 1 min spikes up again to 50% priority and affinity have no effect

2 minutes ago, Sack said:

Sorry I was looking through two similar posts and mixed them a bit up. Have you checked your power profiles? Recently I had an update change my profiles, might be a profile limiting your clockspeeds.

not the problem, its set as high performence standard

6 minutes ago, roelversteeg said:

If i restart explorer.exe it begins low cpu but again after 1 min spikes up again to 50% priority and affinity have no effect

checked affinity again set it so 1 core now it uses 25% cpu

Can you try disabling the audio enhancements?

Sheep, fluffy sheep, flock of fluffy sheep.

Just now, riz06 said:

Can you try disabling the audio enhancements?

I use a soundcard so not using default audio driver but here all enhancements are disabled

Even when I deleted every sound driver I could find (my soundcard, nvidia, realtek) I still had the problem

19 minutes ago, roelversteeg said:

Even when I deleted every sound driver I could find (my soundcard, nvidia, realtek) I still had the problem

Hmm, that's too bad. In that case, I can only suggest what I usually do. I'll try restoring to my last stable point. You don't really have the option to stop your ASIO driver completely.

Sheep, fluffy sheep, flock of fluffy sheep.

3 minutes ago, riz06 said:

Hmm, that's too bad. In that case, I can only suggest what I usually do. I'll try restoring to my last stable point. You don't really have the option to stop your ASIO driver completely.

yea that is also not an option i dont have a restore point where the problem is gone

I FOUND THE FIX. When the file audioses.dll was present in the folder C:/Windows then my cpu ramps up to 50%. 

I tried replacing the file with the same file from another pc, same effect of cpu usage. It is only when i completely delete the file that my pc runs normal.

very weird fix but it works and so far no problems without the .dll present

Well, I haven't logged in here in years, but I just wanted to say, thank you for posting up the solution to your problem! I found a number of other people who were having similar issues, but no one ever actually said how they managed to fix the issue (if they did at all)! Thanks to your trick, I managed to find the rogue DLL in c:/windows and rename it, which fixed the high cpu usage instantly (and seemingly permanently)

I just noticed you posed this right around the same time when I had this issue begin, it makes me wonder if there was a windows update (or maybe driver update) that caused the issue. Seems a little too much to be a coincidence!

Anyway, thanks dude, have a fantastic day :)

On 30-9-2017 at 11:33 AM, mountainjew said:

Well, I haven't logged in here in years, but I just wanted to say, thank you for posting up the solution to your problem! I found a number of other people who were having similar issues, but no one ever actually said how they managed to fix the issue (if they did at all)! Thanks to your trick, I managed to find the rogue DLL in c:/windows and rename it, which fixed the high cpu usage instantly (and seemingly permanently)

I just noticed you posed this right around the same time when I had this issue begin, it makes me wonder if there was a windows update (or maybe driver update) that caused the issue. Seems a little too much to be a coincidence!

Anyway, thanks dude, have a fantastic day :)

You are very welcome.

I also encounter a lot of forums where the final solution is never posted. So I did!

It could be a problem from a windows update, you never know with Microsoft :)