Which Monitor Should I Get?

SolidRedIron

I am looking for a cheap but good quality monitor and I am stuck with two options.  One if the HP Pavilion 22cwa 21.5-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor for $89.99 and the Acer R240HY bidx 23.8-Inch IPS HDMI DVI VGA (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor for $129.99  Should I go for the cheaper option or should I get the one that's more expensive to ensure quality?

never base the decision on price for quality, base it on the features you want and the reviews, and you budget. The main benefit you get on the more expensive one is it looks aesthetically nicer (my opinion, though the stand could be more wobbly) and has DVI, meaning one could have 2 things plugged in at the same time, like a pc and a console. (I don't really count VGA since it will look washed out likely)

Speaking of 2 digital inputs, neither have audio output, so consider that if you want to hook a console to it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

never base the decision on price for quality, base it on the features you want and the reviews, and you budget. The main benefit you get on the more expensive one is it looks aesthetically nicer and has DVI, meaning one could have 2 things plugged in at the same time, like a pc and a console. (I don't really count VGA since it will look washed out likely)

Speaking of 2 digital inputs, neither have audio output, so consider that if you want to hook a console to it. 

I just want to use it as a PC Display, so is there a specific one I should go with or both will do me well for a good while (maybe 5 or 10 years).

Just now, SolidRedIron said:

I just want to use it as a PC Display, so is there a specific one I should go with or both will do me well for a good while (maybe 5 or 10 years).

size could be one. 

23.8 vs 21 inches. near 23 or 24 inches is my personal sweet spot for a 1080p screen. I think 21 is a bit small. That's just me though. 

Also neither have vesa mount holes. You may not plan to mount now, but consider it in the future. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

size could be one. 

23.8 vs 21 inches. near 23 or 24 inches is my personal sweet spot for a 1080p screen. I think 21 is a bit small. That's just me though. 

Also neither have vesa mount holes. You may not plan to mount now, but consider it in the future. 

Does "vesa" mean that it can attach to a wall, clamp to a desk, or neither?

10 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

Does "vesa" mean that it can attach to a wall, clamp to a desk, or neither?

all of the above. 
VESA is a standards organization that defines common technology for displays. 

VESA mount holes are a 75mm x 75mm or more commonly 100mm x 100mm in distance. (Most vesa mounts will do both). You can get a good clamp mount for 20$ or so on amazon, a wall mount in the 15$ range, and dual screen stand mount for 30$ just to name a few cheap options. 

Now, I don't persoanlly own one of these, but the reviews look good. This has mount holes, HDMI, VGA, and a headphone jack. SO, there are ips 1080p screens out there with mount holes for that price range. Bout a year and a half ago I had trouble getting cheaper IPS screens with mount holes AND thin bezels. Wish these were a thing back then. I paid 150$ each for 3 screens with 1cm plastic bezels, where these have "frameless" or "invisible bezels", where when the screen is on, it doesn't go all the way to the edge, but off it looks like one piece.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2259-SMH-1080p-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B01HSABNU0

these screens-

81keZcNO2dL.jpg

muh specs 

All parts black

19 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

all of the above. 
VESA is a standards organization that defines common technology for displays. 

VESA mount holes are a 75mm x 75mm or more commonly 100mm x 100mm in distance. (Most vesa mounts will do both). You can get a good clamp mount for 20$ or so on amazon, a wall mount in the 15$ range, and dual screen stand mount for 30$ just to name a few cheap options. 

Now, I don't persoanlly own one of these, but the reviews look good. This has mount holes, HDMI, VGA, and a headphone jack. SO, there are ips 1080p screens out there with mount holes for that price. 

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2259-SMH-1080p-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B01HSABNU0

So vesa aside, I am paying the extra $40 from the Hp for a slightly bigger monitor and a LCD display vs a LED one.  They both are good quality and will last me a good while.  So I should go with the Pavilion 22cwa then?

3 minutes ago, SolidRedIron said:

So vesa aside, I am paying the extra $40 from the Hp for a slightly bigger monitor and a LCD display vs a LED one.  They both are good quality and will last me a good while.  So I should go with the Pavilion 22cwa then?

they are both LED, the R240HY isn't listed correctly on Amazon. Here's the page from acer 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/UM.QR0AA.001

listed as LED. 

I'd say the HP monitor is a great budget deal. If you are going for the price range of the Acer one, there's probably more features to be had from other screens. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

they are both LED, the R240HY isn't listed correctly on Amazon. Here's the page from acer 

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/model/UM.QR0AA.001

listed as LED. 

I'd say the HP monitor is a great budget deal. If you are going for the price range of the Acer one, there's probably more features to be had from other screens. 

Thank you Syntaxvgm. :)