inconsistent steam downloads

Go to solution Solved by Changis,
Just now, BunnyHunter67 said:

It is still acting really slow, and I have noticed really high disk usage. What program would I use to do a disk scan?

windows has a built in one, just go to properties on the disk, choose tools and disk check.

3 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

its been a couple of hours but I think it was just a server issue on steams side of things. its working slower than normal now (around 3 MB/s). but its not dipping to 0 like it was. 

i thought it had been a few days.. if something like that happens, waiting a couple of hours is always the best option, especially if everything else works as it should

I have the capability to download at around 5 MB/s. And I usually get that on steam. But now whenever I try to download something, it starts off fine. Then drops to around 1 MB/s, and then it just completely stops downloading. it will occasionally get around half a MB/s but nothing more than that before stopping again. Ive ran a speed test and my speeds are normal. I've also tried changing my download region in steam and that hasn't done anything. Thanks for the help. :D 

8 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

I have the capability to download at around 5 MB/s. And I usually get that on steam. But now whenever I try to download something, it starts off fine. Then drops to around 1 MB/s, and then it just completely stops downloading. it will occasionally get around half a MB/s but nothing more than that before stopping again. Ive ran a speed test and my speeds are normal. I've also tried changing my download region in steam and that hasn't done anything. Thanks for the help. :D 

how are your downloads from websites for instance?

are you running anything that downloads in the background? (torrents etc)

are you on wired or wireless network?
are you the single user of your computer?
what is your computer specs?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Just now, Changis said:

how are your downloads from websites for instance?                  Fine (I ran a speed test in browser)

are you running anything that downloads in the background? (torrents etc)                 no

are you on wired or wireless network?                  I am wired
are you the single user of your computer?                yes
what is your computer specs?           i5 4690k, strix 1070, z97 g55 mobo

2 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

how are your downloads from websites for instance?                  Fine (I ran a speed test in browser)

are you running anything that downloads in the background? (torrents etc)                 no

are you on wired or wireless network?                  I am wired
are you the single user of your computer?                yes
what is your computer specs?           i5 4690k, strix 1070, z97 g55 mobo

so that rules out bad wifi connection, other downloads using bandwidth (yours or others)..
there might be issues with your steam server, at least it seems that's where the issue lies..

have you tried changing the download region in steam settings? there is also a limit bandwidth setting there which should be set to no limit if it isn't.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Just now, Changis said:

so that rules out bad wifi connection, other downloads using bandwidth (yours or others)..
there might be issues with your steam server, at least it seems that's where the issue lies..

have you tried changing the download region in steam settings? there is also a limit bandwidth setting there which should be set to no limit if it isn't.

Yes I have tried changing my download region. That also made me restart steam so i've done that. I also have no limit on my download speed in steam.

6 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Yes I have tried changing my download region. That also made me restart steam so i've done that. I also have no limit on my download speed in steam.

how long has this lasted? could be something temporary.. and just for elimination purposes, have you tried a diskscan on your steam drive?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

how long has this lasted? could be something temporary.. and just for elimination purposes, have you tried a diskscan on your steam drive?

its been a couple of hours but I think it was just a server issue on steams side of things. its working slower than normal now (around 3 MB/s). but its not dipping to 0 like it was. 

2 minutes ago, Changis said:

It is still acting really slow, and I have noticed really high disk usage. What program would I use to do a disk scan?

Just now, BunnyHunter67 said:

windows has a built in one, just go to properties on the disk, choose tools and disk check.

3 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

i thought it had been a few days.. if something like that happens, waiting a couple of hours is always the best option, especially if everything else works as it should

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Changis said:

im running the disk check now, I'll let you know if it finds any issues.

17 minutes ago, Changis said:

I just ran the disk check, it said it did find errors. I'm restarting now to fix them. I'll update you if this fixes the issue or not.

29 minutes ago, Changis said:

Whatever issue it fixed has solved my issue. Thanks!