Best CPU for 3D modelling/rendering/animation

Gotlaik

Hi,

I'm currently learning the art of 3D modelling/animating, but my cpu (i5-4460) is way to slow for what I want to do (the rendering of a simple scene with 100 frames took about 1.5 hours).

So my questions:

- What cpu is best for this kind of jobs?

- Do I need a fast core clock or a lot of cores/threads?

and most importantly: why?

I would love to hear about all the possibilities so I can make a good choice.

What specific software are you using and what is your budget?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

12 minutes ago, Gotlaik said:

- What cpu is best for this kind of jobs?

Depends on your budget, if you don't want to spend more than $350 the Ryzen 7 1700 would be a very good choice. ;)

12 minutes ago, Gotlaik said:

- Do I need a fast core clock or a lot of cores/threads?

Most rendering applications can use of more cores

Waiting for Coffeelake is also an option.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

depends a lot on the software you use, some depend more on multiple cores some rely more on clockspeed.

If you can wait a few weeks, the 8700k may shift things and be your best option.

If you need it before then:

If you want multicore power go with Ryzen 1700

If you need singlethread performance go with 7700k

If you need both go x299 7820x or better

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

28 minutes ago, Alexzz_ said:

depends a lot on the software you use, some depend more on multiple cores some rely more on clockspeed.

I started a few weeks ago with learning 3DS max, but switched to maya a few days ago, I will now learn to work with maya tos see wich one I prefer, but I think I will stick to Maya.

So Blender, 3ds max and cinema 4d are doing a lot of numerical operations. Those types of workloads require a lot of cash, a decent amount of ram and last but not least a lot of FPU (floating point unit) performance.

This means that the workload scales pretty good with more cores. Depending on your budget you can go with a Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 or on the higher end intel i9 or threadripper

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

26 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

If you can wait a few weeks, the 8700k may shift things and be your best option.

If you need it before then:

If you want multicore power go with Ryzen 1700

If you need singlethread performance go with 7700k

If you need both go x299 7820x or better

I can wait a few weeks, but why (in which scenerio) would I need multicore power rather than singlethread performance or vice versa?

1 minute ago, Gotlaik said:

I can wait a few weeks, but why (in which scenerio) would I need multicore power rather than singlethread performance or vice versa?

cheapest upgrade for you is to sell your i5, get another 8gb of ram and a used 4790k.

otherwise i would go for a ryzen 1700, 16gb ddr4 and a new motherboard.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.