Does Netflix 5.1 audio sound better than Netflix 2.0 audio through headphones?

avg123

Netflix 5 channel audio is 192 kbps while 2.0 audio is 96kbps. Edge browser only supports 2.0 audio while the Windows 10 app supports 5.1 audio.

Does 5 channel audio sound better through headphones?

It won't make any difference, you're headphones are 2.0 unless you have virtual 7.1 surround found on newer gaming headsets like the Hyper X cloud 2, stick with 2.0 you really won't notice any difference 

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Netflix 5 channel audio is 192 kbps while 2.0 audio is 96kbps. Edge browser only supports 2.0 audio while the Windows 10 app supports 5.1 audio.

You can try, don't you?

Usually I prefer the 5.1 downmixed to 2 channels, but usually it has a lot of more dynamic range and I need to adjust the volume multiple times. The 2.0 has louder voices and higher volume in general.

In the app you can switch between them easily, just try. 

3 minutes ago, elira said:

You can try, don't you?

Usually I prefer the 5.1 downmixed to 2 channels, but usually it has a lot of more dynamic range and I need to adjust the volume multiple times. The 2.0 has louder voices and higher volume in general.

In the app you can switch between them easily, just try. 

I assume you mean change using the ctrl+alt+shift+s shortcut. Is there some other way of changing it?

No it only gives me the option of 192kbps for audio in the app, though it gives me multiple options for video bitrate.

Edge only gives me 96kbps 2.0 option for audio but again multiple options for video.

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

I assume you mean change using the ctrl+alt+shift+s shortcut. Is there some other way of changing it?

No it only gives me the option of 192kbps for audio in the app, though it gives me multiple options for video bitrate.

Edge only gives me 96kbps 2.0 option for audio but again multiple options for video.

In the same place you change to other languages/subtitles, you can choose what English version you want. Usually there is Stereo, 5.1 and other for blind people.

1 minute ago, elira said:

In the same place you change to other languages/subtitles, you can choose what English version you want. Usually there is Stereo, 5.1 and other for blind people.

Why do you prefer the 5.1 downmixed to 2.0 if you have to adjust the volume multiple times?

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

Why do you prefer the 5.1 downmixed to 2.0 if you have to adjust the volume multiple times?

Because it has more dynamic range and sounds more natural. The Stereo mix seems to be done for tv speakers that are like garbage so it has a lot of emphasis in voices to make it understandable.

• 5 years later...

Assuming you have 5.1 soundbar  but you didnt hook up via HDMI. instead you use Bluetooth, optical, coax or 3.5mm Aux.   So, by default on most high end speakers. the audio decodeder at your soundbar will upmix to Dolby Audio when data is passthrough. Remember is Dolby Audio upmix quality! Not Dolby Atmos quality!

So at Netflix, u should choose 2.0 instead of 5.1.  So your sound bar will upmix the surround. Your 5.1 soundbar you can still feel the effects.   If you use 5.1 and you still uses Bluetooth, optical, coax or 3.5mm aux. The sound channel thru your soundbar will have upmix discrepancy and inaccurate audio positioning. E.g you can't tell is from left, right or behind.

The only accurate way to enjoy 5.1 channel or True Dolby Atmos in Netflix is to use HDMI interface.  when you get the correct signal passthrough, ur speaker will always have a console showing you "Dolby Atmos" and not "Dolby Audio".  If you see the word "Dolby Audio" you better off with a 2.0/2.1 signal passthrough.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:06 PM, avg123 said:

Personally, I don't think.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂