AMP, DAC, Both?

FunkyFeatures
Go to solution Solved by Jdnoss1234,

So all dac's need that have an amp. The difference is whether they are in the same box or separate ones. The Schiit Modi 2 is of the latter. What you are really after is the Schiit Fulla 2 as it is the best for that price. The better question is do you need an external dac and amp? What headphones do you have? 

Hi there!

I was looking at improving my audio as I listen to music and podcasts alot (both at work and at home).

I was under the impression that a DAC is where the "quality" comes from and the AMP is just what amplifies the power, so if you already have enough power you don't need one?

But then I looked at the Schiit Modi 2, and it seemingly has no headphone-out, how come?

My budget is £125 (EU), so if you have other suggestions, they are welcome.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

The Schiit Modi 2 is designed to go into an AMP which then has a stereo output on the front (mostly designed to be in a stack with the Magni). That doesn't mean you can't use the Modi 2 straight from the DAC, you'd just need RCA to 3.5mm (or 1/4" if you use that) and plug the headphones into that. 

So all dac's need that have an amp. The difference is whether they are in the same box or separate ones. The Schiit Modi 2 is of the latter. What you are really after is the Schiit Fulla 2 as it is the best for that price. The better question is do you need an external dac and amp? What headphones do you have? 

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

<wrong>

No, that's not correct. It outputs a pre-amplified signal at a level that wouldn't drive headphones. Also, amp isn't an acronym and there's no need to shout.

The Modi needs an amp after it to take the signal and make it usable, both for headphones and speakers.

If you only have €125 then look at the suggested equipment thread (helpfully pinned at the top of the audio sub-forum) and you'll find some suggestions and answers to the questions you asked here.

2 hours ago, FunkyFeatures said:

But then I looked at the Schiit Modi 2, and it seemingly has no headphone-out, how come?

because it is a pure DAC.... Which means no amp. For 125£ you can get the Fulla 2, which would be fine, but what headphones are you even using? It might make more sense to upgrade those...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Dackzy has it correct (listen to him), the Modi/Modi 2 is a pure DAC, which is why it's usually paired with an amp, like the Magni/Magni 2. Such a setup is called a stack since two separate components are required.

As Dackzy had suggested, the Fulla 2 (like my Oppo HA1 and my Fostex HP-A4) is also called a DAC, but unlike the Modi, the Fulla 2 is a Combi, meaning it also has an amp section built into it. I have a Combi too, in the Gustard H10 (amp) + X12 (DAC) stack which I love to death.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Ok, thanks to all of you for helping me, I did not know I could not get away with just a DAC.

Q: What headphones?
A: Currently, Sennheiser g4me ones, apparently based on HD598/558 drivers, so not so much gaming headset, but I plan on picking up either a HD6xx or a DT 990 Pro through work.

I had looked at the Fulla, but by reviews it does not seem to be all that great, both build and a little bit sound quality.

I will keep looking, especially at the sticky that was pointed out, thanks for now.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise