Skyrim fails to start

kelvinhall05

So, I got Skyrim for the weekend because it's free and I want to try it out, but it won't launch. I have it downloaded, but when I click play in Steam it says it's running for a few seconds, then it says it's syncing for a fraction of a second, then all activity for it ceases to exist. Ideas? Thanks!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

So, I got Skyrim for the weekend because it's free and I want to try it out, but it won't launch. I have it downloaded, but when I click play in Steam it says it's running for a few seconds, then it says it's syncing for a fraction of a second, then all activity for it ceases to exist. Ideas? Thanks!

SE or the CE?

(Special Edition or Classic Edition)

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

Just now, wolfboytech said:

SE or the CE?

(Special Edition or Classic Edition)

SE

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

SE

Alright. With any download from steam, you should always try to verify the files. Right-click the game in your Library, then click on "Properties" in this window select "Local Files" and then "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

This may take some time, but usually it's the easiest solution.

Edited by wolfboytech
changed wording

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

6 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Alright. With any download from steam, you should always try to verify the files. Right-click the game in your Library, then click on "Properties" in this window select "Local Files" and then "Verify Integrity of Game Files".

This may take some time, but usually it's the easiest solution.

Didn't find anything (not sure why there would be anything wrong with the game files) and it still won't work. Any other ideas?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Didn't find anything (not sure why there would be anything wrong with the game files) and it still won't work. Any other ideas?

Hmm.

To be 100% Honest I am mostly versed in the CE version. Does a warm boot do anything to solve the issue? (I know, basic troubleshooting, but just going through my list)

2 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Hmm.

To be 100% Honest I am mostly versed in the CE version. Does a warm boot do anything to solve the issue? (I know, basic troubleshooting, but just going through my list)

Warm boot? Never heard of that term. What is it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Warm boot? Never heard of that term. What is it?

Reboot without shutting down the computer completely. (Sorry should just use the basic terms, I'm helping people in Networking so my "tutor" brain is on)

1 minute ago, wolfboytech said:

Reboot without shutting down the computer completely. (Sorry should just use the basic terms, I'm helping people in Networking so my "tutor" brain is on)

Meh, I know my hardware, just not my software as much ;)

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Meh, I know my hardware, just not my software as much ;)

I found this post from the Steam User Forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/312265473877856791/

Further (according to the post) try lowering your settings (if you can even get to the prompt) If not you may need to hop into the directory and manually set which settings you want to have (I can walk you through how, but I haven't done it in a while. Do know that some people with only 8GB of memory have seen some issues with random crashes due to that being the minimum recommended for the game to launch.

3 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

I found this post from the Steam User Forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/489830/discussions/0/312265473877856791/

Further (according to the post) try lowering your settings (if you can even get to the prompt) If not you may need to hop into the directory and manually set which settings you want to have (I can walk you through how, but I haven't done it in a while. Do know that some people with only 8GB of memory have seen some issues with random crashes due to that being the minimum recommended for the game to launch.

That could be the issue, I only have 8gb of RAM. Also, the warm boot didn't work, sorry.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

@wolfboytech

2017-09-09 12-01-40.mp4

Sorry, but you have to download it.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That could be the issue, I only have 8gb of RAM. Also, the warm boot didn't work, sorry.

Alrighty. Try heading down that list they give you for troubleshooting. Another problem could be your older 1GB of vram. Check the other items on the list, just in case but as a last resort, know that it could be your GPU and/or your RAM limiting you.