HDD symptoms

DatPei

Hi, I have a hard drive with the following symptoms, hope some experienced users here could help me out!

• My hard drive have clicking sound during OS boot, it gets powered up and also spins.
  • Hard drive can be seen in BIOS' SATA connections, but is shown up as 0 GB (supposed to be 2 TB).
  • Hard drive spins and clicks during boot (I think it's trying to read data), and after a few clicks, it stops completely (maybe powered down?).
  • Hard drive is not found when I boot into Windows. Not found in Device Manager, nor in Disk Partition, or software like SeaTools or testdisk.

If any more info is needed, feel free to let me know and I will follow up! I do plan to order a same model and swap out the PCB to see if any chance of getting it to work just to retrieve data. Any insights are much appreciated!

Does it show up in disk management?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 minutes ago, Saddy said:

Does it show up in disk management?

I thought it's the same thing as Disk Partitions, but I will have a quick check and get back to you!

Just now, DatPei said:

I thought it's the same thing as Disk Partitions, but I will have a quick check and get back to you!

It may be, I don't know. I am on windows 10 and it is called Disk Management for me. (ie https://gyazo.com/2a5a708d7a8c120d2f6e5e06d31b964f)

2 minutes ago, Saddy said:

It may be, I don't know. I am on windows 10 and it is called Disk Management for me. (ie https://gyazo.com/2a5a708d7a8c120d2f6e5e06d31b964f)

Right, no it doesn't. Previously it did show up a few times as unallocated space, and if I want to access it I will have to do a format, which I didn't continue because I wanted to retrieve files. Now it doesn't show up there.

Hmm, I am not very good at storage drives. How long have you had the hard drive? It may just be breaking down due to wear and tear

Just now, Saddy said:

Hmm, I am not very good at storage drives. How long have you had the hard drive? It may just be breaking down due to wear and tear

About a year and a half, so not too long I suppose.

Okay, I don't think I will be able to help you on this. If you have any "tech" store nearby (Bestbuy) you can have them look into it. Although, it may be better just to buy a brand new drive if you want. Sorry that I was unable to assist you, but it truly seems like a "hardware" problem and not software.