SSHD disconnects after shutdown

Ovi.M

Hi, I just build my new PC yesterday and I have a bit of a problem with the SSHD. I'm using a Seagate Firecuda of 1 TB. After I assembled the PC, I did a startup and it went well straight into UEFI. But something was odd, it couldn't recognize the disk. I powered down and switched the PSU off, I changed the SATA port and started again. This time the drive was shown in the UEFI. I went on installing windows 10 but where you have to select the partition you want windows to be installed in, it showed nothing... So i restarted and again in went into UEFI and the disk didn't show again. I repeated what worked before with the SATA port change and managed to install windows. After i installed everything and briefly played some games just to see some temps and fps, I shut down the PC and came back in a few hours (maybe 3 or 4)... I tried to start the PC and surprise... same thing. So, I can make it work after completely turning it off and changing SATA ports but i can't be doing this constantly... this way i could boot faster with one of those old CDROM sized HDD's :)).

My full spec is: Asrock Z270 PRO 4, Intel i5 7600k, 16BG corsair RAM @2400mhz, Nvidia GTX 1070, Corsair CX650M PSU and that Firecuda SSHD that i'm not so thrilled about (hope the problem doesn't come from the MB)

8 hours ago, Ovi.M said:

Hi, I just build my new PC yesterday and I have a bit of a problem with the SSHD. I'm using a Seagate Firecuda of 1 TB. After I assembled the PC, I did a startup and it went well straight into UEFI. But something was odd, it couldn't recognize the disk. I powered down and switched the PSU off, I changed the SATA port and started again. This time the drive was shown in the UEFI. I went on installing windows 10 but where you have to select the partition you want windows to be installed in, it showed nothing... So i restarted and again in went into UEFI and the disk didn't show again. I repeated what worked before with the SATA port change and managed to install windows. After i installed everything and briefly played some games just to see some temps and fps, I shut down the PC and came back in a few hours (maybe 3 or 4)... I tried to start the PC and surprise... same thing. So, I can make it work after completely turning it off and changing SATA ports but i can't be doing this constantly... this way i could boot faster with one of those old CDROM sized HDD's :)).

My full spec is: Asrock Z270 PRO 4, Intel i5 7600k, 16BG corsair RAM @2400mhz, Nvidia GTX 1070, Corsair CX650M PSU and that Firecuda SSHD that i'm not so thrilled about (hope the problem doesn't come from the MB)

Hmm one potential thing to check on here would be to try using a different cable if possible. We've seen naughty cables cause drives to disappear and misbehave fairly often. You could also see if the issue is consistent in another computer.

You can also check the health of the drive using our free diagnostic tool SeaTools to cover your bases there.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I asked a friend to borough me he's Intel SSD. It worked fine with that. I tried to simulate the same behavior on it like on the SSHD by shutting down several times and changing SATA ports but it didn't fail once. I couldn't test the SSHD in another computer because i didn't have another PC available at the time. As for changing the SATA cables, that didn't give me a result either (SSHD would behave the same, no matter what cable I tried).

So, with all this being done, the next day, I returned the SSHD to the store and bought a SAMSUNG 250 Gb SSD. Everything works fine with this one.

Thank you for the suggestions!