Mobo/CPU Dead?

BanJaX

Noob question - Is it possible to diagnose a dead CPU or motherboard without having another Mobo/CPU to test them with?

My streaming/editing PC won't turn on. I've tested RAM, PSU, all that jazz. It attempts to power on for maybe ~1sec and then goes into a loop of trying to power on every 10sec or so.
I'm 90% sure it's either motherboard or CPU, but the only way I can think to test to see which part needs replaced is to have either another LGA1155 CPU or motherboard, which I do not have a spare of.

Mobo : Asus P8Z77-V
CPU : Intel Core i5-3570k

Thanks.

Try reset CMOS first.

Does your mobo try show error codes, like beeping or LED lights flashing?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

8 minutes ago, BanJaX said:

Noob question - Is it possible to diagnose a dead CPU or motherboard without having another Mobo/CPU to test them with?

My streaming/editing PC won't turn on. I've tested RAM, PSU, all that jazz. It attempts to power on for maybe ~1sec and then goes into a loop of trying to power on every 10sec or so.
I'm 90% sure it's either motherboard or CPU, but the only way I can think to test to see which part needs replaced is to have either another LGA1155 CPU or motherboard, which I do not have a spare of.

Mobo : Asus P8Z77-V
CPU : Intel Core i5-3570k

Thanks.

unplug your CPUs cable and then turn the system on if it powers on (your fans start spinning etc), then it's your CPU, try resetting your CMOS first though 

CMOS reset was the first thing I tried along with GPU removal, BIOS Battery, and testing each stick of RAM individually. The mobo doesn't stay powered long enough to post any errors. And for some reason the speaker has never worked on that mobo! Tried unplugging the CPU power and turning it on, but same result. Powers on for ~1sec and then dies, and attempts to power on again every ~6-10secs thereafter. So that means it's the motherboard that's dead, right?

as above reset cmos - either it will be a jumper on the Mobo or there will be a reset button 

7 minutes ago, BanJaX said:

CMOS reset was the first thing I tried along with GPU removal, BIOS Battery, and testing each stick of RAM individually. The mobo doesn't stay powered long enough to post any errors. And for some reason the speaker has never worked on that mobo! Tried unplugging the CPU power and turning it on, but same result. Powers on for ~1sec and then dies, and attempts to power on again every ~6-10secs thereafter. So that means it's the motherboard that's dead, right?

(longshot) do you access to another motherboard that you can drop your CPU into maybe a friend that has a motherboard with the same socket or something? 

Just realised I had a spare motherboard in the garage! I won it a few years ago in a Facebook competition and it's been out there since I used it to fix/diagnose a friends PC a few years back! I'll drop the CPU in and see how it goes. :)

Replaced the motherboard and it seems to be powering on just fine! I haven't set it up yet to make sure everything is working properly but it's getting further than it was before, anyway. And i'm not even out any money...yet! :)

Thanks very much for your help, guys. I really appreciate it. :)