Threadripper 1920x build.

I am planning on building a system later this month - early next month.  While I have already bought most of the parts, I would like feedback on the last parts.  (The CPU mainly)

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler - Purchased

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC - MX4 4g Thermal Paste - Purchased

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X399-A EATX TR4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - Purchased

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive - Purchased

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card - Purchased

Case: be quiet! - Dark Base Pro 900 (Black/Silver) ATX Full Tower Case - Purchased

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - Purchased

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit

While I am pretty sure that with my use case, the 1920x will be the best CPU for me with my given budget, I will spend no more than 800.00 on a CPU with this build.

While I do a lot of gaming, I also do a lot of 3D modeling, some programming, video editing, among other tasks that favor cores.  I have also gotten into recording game play, I use OBS for that.

Blender is the modeler of choice, while many of its functions use a maximum of 8 cores, some of it's functions (mainly the renderer) will use as many cores that it can get.  Not to mention that I have recorded myself modeling, and then time lapsed it.  I have gotten pretty bad frame rate hits when recording games, but when recording me modeling the hits can be truly atrocious.  Hopefully the extra cores of the 1920x will help with this.

While this is a gross oversimplification, Ryzen's single threaded performance seems to be around Haswell.  That is acceptable for me.  While I do have applications that are largely single threaded, (or doesn't scale well after a certain amount of threads) It's not the end of the world if the 1920x is a little slower than say the 7820x with said applications.

I also value, and potentially have a use for the extra PCIe lanes that Threadripper has.

Of course, feedback on any part of the build would be appreciated.

Welcome to the team!

Glad you already had the GPU. It's about to get even rougher out there.

Did you already have the RAM or are the majority of your tasks unconcerned with quad channel?

all of this is awesome hardware, but for the ssd I would have pick a corsair force mpseries. because they use MLC memory instead of TLC but this will be fine since they have a high resistance.

"You are doing the same thing over and over again and you hoping for different result ?"

11 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Glad you already had the GPU. It's about to get even rougher out there.

Exactly why I purchased it first.

11 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Did you already have the RAM or are the majority of your tasks unconcerned with quad channel?

Ram is easy to upgrade, I will get another set after a few months.

12 minutes ago, Samoth said:

all of this is awesome hardware, but for the ssd I would have pick a corsair force mpseries. because they use MLC memory instead of TLC but this will be fine since they have a high resistance.

Does the corsair force mpseries use the sand force controller?  I've had a very bad experience with an SSD with that controller in the past, and yes it was the controller that died, not the memory.

5 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Exactly why I purchased it first.

Ram is easy to upgrade, I will get another set after a few months.

Does the corsair force mpseries use the sand force controller?  I've had a very bad experience with an SSD with that controller in the past, and yes it was the controller that died, not the memory.

I don't know if it has a sandforce controller but they seem to be only on sata drive. btw, there were a time where they would died fast but that seem to have improve

edit: I found this:

"You are doing the same thing over and over again and you hoping for different result ?"

I only asked because I initially bought 2 dual channel sets thinking it would be fine in quad, but they would not post together only separately in sets of 2.

Though they've vastly improved compatibility threadripper since launch w/ a beta BIOS.

9 minutes ago, Samoth said:

I don't know if it has a sandforce controller but they seem to be only on sata drive. btw, there were a time where they would died fast but that seem to have improve

I just have had bad experiences with that particular controller in the past, so I clearly have a negative bias towards that controller. (A boot drive failing out of the blue is never fun)

I'll check it out, I may look at the corsair force mpseries when I upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I only asked because I initially bought 2 dual channel sets thinking it would be fine in quad, but they would not post together only separately in sets of 2.

Though they've vastly improved compatibility threadripper since launch w/ a beta BIOS.

Thanks for letting me know, may I ask what RAM you are using.  I purchased RAM that was specifically certified for Ryzen to help prevent RAM issues.  (While better, Ryzen has had a lot of RAM issues in the past)

Initially it was Vengeance LPX from the Ryzen (not TR) qualified list since I had a bunch of it. Traded it for quad channel Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666 running @ 2993 .

7 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Initially it was Vengeance LPX from the Ryzen (not TR) qualified list since I had a bunch of it. Traded it for quad channel Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666 running @ 2993 .

Thanks, this seems like an issue that will be fixed in a BIOS update, but if not, I now know what to do.