Couple of questions regarding getting my RAM up to 3200MHz [Ryzen CPU]

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: Gskills F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (2x 8GB)

Since upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM I have only tried to run my RAM at 3200MHz once (by selecting the XMP profile), which didn't seem to be kosher as the PC wouldn't start. I had to remove the battery on the motherboard to reset the bios. I decided to deal with it later - and now seems to be a good time to give it another try. Couple of questions:

• Am I doing the correct thing by just selecting the XMP profile? Or should I be adjusting something else too?
  • If the computer refuses to boot again, is there an easier way to reset the bios? Removing the battery is a bit of a pain as I have to open the case, remove the GPU etc.

I am fairly sure I had the BIOS updated prior to trying the first time, but I have definitely got it updated now for my next attempt.

Also I've been learning on the go about all this stuff for the past few months since I decided to upgrade my PC, so bear with me - I am still learning.

7 minutes ago, good_moleman_to_you said:

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: Gskills F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (2x 8GB)

Since upgrading my motherboard, CPU and RAM I have only tried to run my RAM at 3200MHz once (by selecting the XMP profile), which didn't seem to be kosher as the PC wouldn't start. I had to remove the battery on the motherboard to reset the bios. I decided to deal with it later - and now seems to be a good time to give it another try. Couple of questions:

• Am I doing the correct thing by just selecting the XMP profile? Or should I be adjusting something else too?
  • If the computer refuses to boot again, is there an easier way to reset the bios? Removing the battery is a bit of a pain as I have to open the case, remove the GPU etc.

I am fairly sure I had the BIOS updated prior to trying the first time, but I have definitely got it updated now for my next attempt.

Also I've been learning on the go about all this stuff for the past few months since I decided to upgrade my PC, so bear with me - I am still learning.

maybe you should read your product manual to find out if there's a CL_RTC pinout on the board you can short.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Go into your bios and go into the ram freq option and use the + button (shift =) to put the freq up

It looks like it is on your motherboards QVL list as only running at 2933, so I would try that with the timings listed on your DRAM sticker.

Also you can make sure the VSOC is up at 1.1 V which may help stability.  

This video has is a cool and informative talk on overclocking RAM on Ryzen by an AMD engineer.

Thanks for the replies!

54 minutes ago, hickory said:

It looks like it is on your motherboards QVL list as only running at 2933, so I would try that with the timings listed on your DRAM sticker.

So I have now got it up to 2933 and it seems to be working fine. Is it alright to try 3200, even if it's not listed on the motherboard's QVL list?

1 hour ago, good_moleman_to_you said:

Thanks for the replies!

So I have now got it up to 2933 and it seems to be working fine. Is it alright to try 3200, even if it's not listed on the motherboard's QVL list?

Yeah it wont hurt anything.  If it appears stable you will then want to stress test it with prime95 or memtest overnight or something so it doesn't crash on you in games, etc.