Having trouble displaying a web page using IIS in server 2012

Shammikit
Go to solution Solved by Shammikit,

I managed to find a solution. it was a problem in DNS. i had to go to the properties of my DNS, go to interfaces and in "Listen on" options i had to select the "only the following IP address" option which had my server IP address listed below. and i was also told by a friend to disable IPV6 in ethernet0 settings as it could cause problems as im running my server on a virtual PC. Hope someone else finds this information useful and thank you @NZLaurence for coming to help:)

so im trying to display a basic html page using iis and im getting "the page cannot be displayed error",im pretty sure theres nothing wrong with the html as i opened it and it displays fine on the browser. the IP address im using is also not used by anything else in the computer so it shouldnt be the one causing problems. the file has been given admin access to the physical path so i dont think theres a problem there.i have no idea where else i should check. can someone suggest me something that i should check and see. thanks

14 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Otherwise turn off simple error messages in your browser and post the actual error and iis version.

im using the default browser which is internet explorer and did you mean to disable "show friendly http error messages" option when u said to turn off simple error messages? if it is i did try it but it doesnt show me any other error.it still says page cannot be displayed.

and i have looked up into that link you posted above and according to that its a permissions problem that he was having and i do not think that is the case in my one. i have given admin permissions to it to connect as admin. im guessing its something to do with DNS because if i start the site without putting in a IP address or host name i can load to local host but if i put in a host name or a IP address or both i get the error page cannot be displayed. 

i also tried creating a new zone in forward look up zone and created a new host with IP address same as server IP and a FQDN.still getting same error. i followed some youtube tutorials and they manage to get it running after that but in my case it doesnt work. i have attached some images of the settings below. if u can help me it would be great as i think i have tried all possibilities. if u want any info of any settings that i havent mentioned please do ask.thanks

t7.PNG

t6.PNG

t5.PNG

t4.PNG

t2.PNG

t1.PNG

Okay, I wasn't expecting the basics. First change you binding so that it's accepting all connections on port 80. (Remove the cars.com) from the binding.

From the command line try ping cars.com

From the server and the client, try going to http://192.168.1.1 (that is your server IP?)

Turn off friendly error messages for ie.

Steps (6 total)
  1. Open Internet Explorer. Expand. Nice and simple. ...
  2. Open Internet Options. Expand. You should have a tools button, at the bottom Internet Options.
  3. The internet options window should popup. Expand. ...
  4. In the advanced tab. You should find a option for. ...
  5. Untick. "show friendly http error messages"
  6. Hit OK to save the changes.

I managed to find a solution. it was a problem in DNS. i had to go to the properties of my DNS, go to interfaces and in "Listen on" options i had to select the "only the following IP address" option which had my server IP address listed below. and i was also told by a friend to disable IPV6 in ethernet0 settings as it could cause problems as im running my server on a virtual PC. Hope someone else finds this information useful and thank you @NZLaurence for coming to help:)