Access Windows without using USB

Emillionaire

Hi, a "friend of mine" has a problem with is USB ports. None of them are working, and he says he havent done anything. 
Is it possible to access the pc, and maybe even boot it in safe mode without using the USB's?

Yes, the username is cringe. 

Does the motherboard have PS/2?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Ehm, yes?

In case it doesn't boot/POST at all, there are multiple other options you can try;

-swapping bootdrive

-bootable DVD

-attach a USB-hub directly to the motherboard (the USB-ports in the front of a PC are usually connected to the motherboard via a cable. Try switching connectors) and boot from that

EDIT

Ah sorry, it is only now that I understand that you have no working inputdevices :P lol.

Do you have a bluetoothcard lying around somewhere?

Wi RoZ

Has he built the system himself? then maybe check so that the usb power pins are in their correct places. also, the usbs could all be dead (although i find that unlikley) but the mobo might be at fault. if possible, check if other mobos work with your system. 

Ah sorry, it is only now that I understand that you have no working inputdevices :P lol.

Wi RoZ

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Does the motherboard have PS/2?

I do not believe so, no. Getting confirmation. 

2 minutes ago, Wi RoZ said:

Ehm, yes?

In case it doesn't boot/POST at all, there are multiple other options you can try;

-swapping bootdrive

-bootable DVD

-attach a USB-hub directly to the motherboard (the USB-ports in the front of a PC are usually connected to the motherboard via a cable. Try switching connectors) and boot from that

The PC boots and works. But the USB ports connected does not light up, or work. 
He is using the USB ports straight into the motherboard. 
Also, he does not have any spare parts to switch. 

3 minutes ago, Pengu1N said:

Has he built the system himself? then maybe check so that the usb power pins are in their correct places. also, the usbs could all be dead (although i find that unlikley) but the mobo might be at fault. if possible, check if other mobos work with your system. 

The PC was built from some old parts some months ago, and worked perfectly until one month ago. This came suddenly. 

2 minutes ago, Wi RoZ said:

Ah sorry, it is only now that I understand that you have no working inputdevices :P lol.

Sadly no. He is not great with tech, and because he doesent speak English (yeah..) i have to help solve this. 
Is there no way to force into "safe mode" by using the power-button?xD:|

Does he have surge protectors in his house? if a power surge occurred (maybe without him knowing it?) it could have short circuited his mobo. maybe burned it out.

Just now, Pengu1N said:

Does he have surge protectors in his house? if a power surge occurred (maybe without him knowing it?) it could have short circuited his mobo. maybe burned it out.

I'm pretty sure he does not. That could be a possibly scenario, but it would not surprise me if he accidentally uninstalled USB drivers or disabled the ports. 

6 minutes ago, L0gic said:

Sadly no. He is not great with tech, and because he doesent speak English (yeah..) i have to help solve this. 
Is there no way to force into "safe mode" by using the power-button?xD:|

No I don't think so :P 

Wi RoZ

that would be unfortunate :/ does the usb ports show up in bios? if not it's probably the mobo...

Just now, Wi RoZ said:

Which other ports are there on the PC?

He just texted that there is only SATA and USB ports on the back. 
The mobo is an Intel dx58so. 

3 minutes ago, Pengu1N said:

that would be unfortunate :/ does the usb ports show up in bios? if not it's probably the mobo...

I just dont see why the pc boots normally then. :/ 
Would bios not give any indication of an error? 

1 minute ago, L0gic said:

He just texted that there is only SATA and USB ports on the back. 
The mobo is an Intel dx58so. 

I just dont see why the pc boots normally then. :/ 
Would bios not give any indication of an error? 

well, if the port connectors are broken, the mobo won't detect them, and therefore act like it doesn't have any usb ports. but im not sure what the bios is like on that board, so i can't say for sure.

17 minutes ago, L0gic said:

I'm pretty sure he does not. That could be a possibly scenario, but it would not surprise me if he accidentally uninstalled USB drivers or disabled the ports. 

This would only be an issue once you loaded to Desktop.

Can he get into the BIOS via the keyboard? (Eg: F2 or whatever key command his motherboard uses)

Also what version of Windows are we talking about here? If it's Windows 7, then the standard "Hit F8 once the BIOS screen goes away" should work if he screwed something up in Windows.

Furthermore he could try booting from a Windows 10 USB and trying a repair install or (worst case) simply reinstalling Windows.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

This would only be an issue once you loaded to Desktop.

Can he get into the BIOS via the keyboard? (Eg: F2 or whatever key command his motherboard uses)

Also what version of Windows are we talking about here? If it's Windows 7, then the standard "Hit F8 once the BIOS screen goes away" should work if he screwed something up in Windows.

Furthermore he could try booting from a Windows 10 USB and trying a repair install or (worst case) simply reinstalling Windows.

Just to clarify, that means that USB drivers is not needed in bios? 
It's windows 10, but on an old motherboard. I think the it's F2 on his pc. Its an older mobo. 
The problem is, that he cant access the bios as there is no "signal" to the keyboard. It does not even light up. 

He tried multiple keyboards and mouse's, so i do not believe that the Windows 10 USB would make a difference. Correct my if i am wrong. :)

Also, i am not familiar with the "Hit F8 method", is that a bind for booting safe mode?

Just now, L0gic said:

Just to clarify, that means that USB drivers is not needed in bios? 
It's windows 10, but on an old motherboard. I think the it's F2 on his pc. Its an older mobo. 
The problem is, that he cant access the bios as there is no "signal" to the keyboard. It does not even light up. 

He tried multiple keyboards and mouse's, so i do not believe that the Windows 10 USB would make a difference. Correct my if i am wrong. :)

Also, i am not familiar with the "Hit F8 method", is that a bind for booting safe mode?

Okay the fact that it doesn't work in the BIOS means there's a 99% chance his USB ports (or controller) are fried. Dead. Toast.

Windows drivers only affect Windows. So if he uninstalled the USB drivers in Windows (or Disabled the USB controller in Device Manager) that would have zero affect on the BIOS.

Some USB devices require a driver to work - those ones won't work in a BIOS. Usually this is first gen USB 3.0 motherboards, or non-standard USB keyboards.

If it worked before and doesn't work now, most likely he needs a new motherboard.

"Hit F8" was the method of accessing Safe Mode in Windows before Windows 8. With Windows 8/10, you need to access Safe Mode from within Windows, or through a few other methods that, frankly, won't help you.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Okay the fact that it doesn't work in the BIOS means there's a 99% chance his USB ports (or controller) are fried. Dead. Toast.

Windows drivers only affect Windows. So if he uninstalled the USB drivers in Windows (or Disabled the USB controller in Device Manager) that would have zero affect on the BIOS.

Some USB devices require a driver to work - those ones won't work in a BIOS. Usually this is first gen USB 3.0 motherboards, or non-standard USB keyboards.

If it worked before and doesn't work now, most likely he needs a new motherboard.

"Hit F8" was the method of accessing Safe Mode in Windows before Windows 8. With Windows 8/10, you need to access Safe Mode from within Windows, or through a few other methods that, frankly, won't help you.

Okay thank you. 
I'll give him a call tomorrow. But how could it suddenly become fried? Lightning strike, or? 
It worked for quite a while and then suddenly did not. 

Just now, L0gic said:

Okay thank you. 
I'll give him a call tomorrow. But how could it suddenly become fried? Lightning strike, or? 
It worked for quite a while and then suddenly did not. 

There are numerous ways it could happen.

Power spike (caused by lightning, or a short circuit in his house, or an issue with the Electricity company) is the most likely cause.

Otherwise, he could have maybe forced a USB device in backwards, breaking the tab designed to prevent such a thing, and causing a short which killed his ports.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

There are numerous ways it could happen.

Power spike (caused by lightning, or a short circuit in his house, or an issue with the Electricity company) is the most likely cause.

Otherwise, he could have maybe forced a USB device in backwards, breaking the tab designed to prevent such a thing, and causing a short which killed his ports.

Okay, thank you alot for the help. :)