HELP, PC shuts down unexpectedly

aandinho

So, I'm using this pc, opened up some documents and it suddenly just shutsdown. I turned it up again and let it sit at the desktop, then shuts doen again. It's definitely not a overheating issue as i just let the pc turned on not doing anything. Is it a software issue? Virus? Harddrive problem? 

It could still be an overheating issue even if you weren't doing anything. That for instance could be caused if the cooler was somehow dislodged from the socket. I suggest you run heat diagnostics before conducting more extensive tests.

Just now, OliverKunnington said:

It could still be an overheating issue even if you weren't doing anything. That for instance could be caused if the cooler was somehow dislodged from the socket. I suggest you run heat diagnostics before conducting more extensive tests.

I tried reseating the cpu cooler and changed the thermal paste, but its still shuts off

Just now, aandinho said:

I tried reseating the cpu cooler and changed the thermal paste, but its still shuts off

Give us some more information about the system. Is it a new pc is it a friend's old pc. What are the specs?

1 minute ago, OliverKunnington said:

I will try to not use avr as it's an old one that I dont really trust and plug it directly to the wall

Just now, OliverKunnington said:

Give us some more information about the system. Is it a new pc is it a friend's old pc. What are the specs?

It's a used pc i got from some guy. Ive been running this for almost a week and then this problem showed up. It's an i3 3220 on a MSi h61m, 4gb ddr3, but the 600w ppwer supply is a brand idk the name of, it could be the problem

On older power supplies the voltage will fluctuate more than when they were new.  If it deviates too far from what it should be, you may indeed have sudden shutdowns.

Brand name doesn't have to matter, I've had it happen with a $300 BeQuiet PSU that was around 3 years old.  Bad luck.

Seeing as the PSU is the most common cause of such sudden shutdowns, the first step would be to borrow a PSU from another PC, hook that up and see if the problem persists. 

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

On older power supplies the voltage will fluctuate more than when they were new.  If it deviates too far from what it should be, you may indeed have sudden shutdowns.

Brand name doesn't have to matter, I've had it happen with a $300 BeQuiet PSU that was around 3 years old.  Bad luck.

Seeing as the PSU is the most common cause of such sudden shutdowns, the first step would be to borrow a PSU from another PC, hook that up and see if the problem persists. 

I tried using a other AVR, and it seems like it was the problem,  ut I need some hour for testing to be sure

20 minutes ago, aandinho said:

I tried using a other AVR, and it seems like it was the problem,  ut I need some hour for testing to be sure

It wasn't an avr problem

I tried getting into the bios, and hopes that it doesn't shut down. If it didn't, I suspect it's a virus or OS or a hard drive problem. Am I right?

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

I don't see a psu problem, maybe. It gives the required voltage to the cpu, and hover around that voltage range

IMG_20170830_195513.jpg