Memory Clock Speeds for AM4 Motherboards

Memory Clock Speed for AM4 Motherboards (Unless specified, you can include post-BIOS update clock speeds and software-overclocked clock speeds.)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you using the ASRock AB350M Pro4 Mico-ATX Motherboard?

• Prefer not to say.
    • Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. If the answer to the previous question was "no" or "prefer not to say", then what is the highest factory (i.e. before BIOS updates and before overclocking software) RAM clock speed for your motherboard?

• This question does not apply to me.
    • <2133MHz (Somehow)
    • >=2133MHz and <2400MHz
    • >=2400MHz and <2666MHz
    • >=2666MHz and <3000MHz
    • >=3000MHz and <3200MHz
    • >=3200MHz and < 3466MHz
    • >=3466MHz and <3733MHz
    • >=3733MHz and <4000MHz
    • >=4000MHz and <4266MHz
    • >=4266MHz
  3. 3. What RAM clock speed you are currently running at?

• <2133MHz (Somehow)
    • >=2133MHz and <2400MHz
    • >=2400MHz and <2666MHz
    • >=2666MHz and <3000MHz
    • >=3000MHz and <3200MHz
    • >=3200MHz and < 3466MHz
    • >=3466MHz and <3733MHz
    • >=3733MHz and <4000MHz
    • >=4000MHz and <4266MHz
    • >=4266MHz
  4. 4. With your current choice of motherboard and RAM clock speed, would you say that there is a non-negligible risk of instability associated with your clock speed? (Personal experience of instability/issues in the next question.)

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. With your current choice of motherboard and RAM clock speed, would you say you have experienced issues that you suspect your clock speed was responsible for?

• Yes
    • I have experienced issues but I don't suspect my clock speed was responsible for any of them.
    • I have never experienced any issues with my configuration at this moment of time.
  6. 6. If you had RAM clock speeds not supported by the factory version of your motherboard: For an inexperienced user, how difficult would you say it is to enable those unsupported RAM clock speeds. (>Inexperienced<, experienced, expert)

• I could not tell.
    • The process is clear and intuitive and the user could complete the process easily without any form of help.
    • With a written/online guide, the user can complete the process easily.
    • With a supervisor (does not do the process for them) of higher experience, the user can complete the process easily.
    • The process is difficult enough for the user that the user should get a more experienced person to try to complete the process.
  7. 7. If you had RAM clock speeds not supported by the factory version of your motherboard: For an experienced/intermediate user, how difficult would you say it is to enable those unsupported RAM clock speeds. (Inexperienced, >experienced<, expert)

• I could not tell.
    • The process is clear and intuitive enough that the user, with their experience, could complete the process easily without any form of help.
    • With a supervisor (does not do the process for them) of higher experience, the user can complete the process easily.
    • The process is difficult enough for the user that the user should get a more experienced person to try to complete the process.
  8. 8. If you had RAM clock speeds not supported by the factory version of your motherboard: For an expert user/professional, how difficult would you say it is to enable those unsupported RAM clock speeds. (Inexperienced, experienced, >expert<)

• I could not tell.
    • The process is clear and intuitive enough that the user, with their experience, could complete the process easily without any form of help.
    • With a consultation with their peers, the user can complete the process easily.
    • With all the previous circumstances, the user may find it difficult to complete the process or may not be able to complete the process.
  9. 9. Would you say it would be worth the risk and work required to enable memory clock speeds given the PC build linked in the content of the topic.

• I could not tell.
    • Yes.
    • No.

If you are looking for context for this poll then here it is:

I have been planning a Ryzen 5 PC build and one of the pieces of feedback I got was to get RAM with a higher clock speed (I think the feedback said about 3000MHz).

Recently, I watched one of LMG's older videos (about 4 months ago) discussing memory clock speeds. The video said that there was a bit of hassle around making higher memory clock speeds work and could cause instability. That got me considering, what clock speeds do AM4 socket motherboards support. I took a look and my choice of motherboard (ASRock) in the link said 2666MHz, but I later realized that AMD launched a couple of BIOS updates to increase support up to the 4000MHz range. After looking on the ASRock website, ASRock stated that it is not recommend to get the update if the motherboard is working as intended and they take no responsibility for any damage after the updates are installed. So I wondered if it was really worth the extra clock speed and set off to find out here.

Note #1: For the three user experience questions, you are not restricted to answering something other than "I could not tell" to only one the three questions e.g. if you have supervised someone of lesser experience trying to enable unsupported RAM clock speeds then you could give your perspective on their attempts.

Note #2: If you believe there is something important to mention that is not included in the poll or in the comments, feel free to add your piece.

Many thanks,

Melonize

• Intel Core i5-6400
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Nightmare to install).
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3
  • 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black
  • 6GB MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor
  • 2x250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
  • Some cheap Seagate HDD
  • A cheaper WD HDD
  • 650W Corsair RM650X (only for show. My PC is powered by a room full of hamsters in hamster wheels.)

Got Lazy mid way through your survey, TL;DR if your mobo bios is up to date then you should expect 3200MHz RAM CL: 16 to work fine with from my experience a R5 1600 @ 4.1GHz

CPU: R5 3600 @ 4.4 GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Super 

4 minutes ago, James7176 said:

Got Lazy mid way through your survey, TL;DR if your mobo bios is up to date then you should expect 3200MHz RAM CL: 16 to work fine with from my experience a R5 1600 @ 4.1GHz

Which mobo u using?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

My Asus X370-Pro is running 3466mhz RAM at 3200MHz, and i'm very content. Never had a problem with RAM stability using it. Had LOTS of stability issues with Vengeance 3200MHz C16 RAM. Worked great in my Intel build at rated speed.

IMC maturity is a thing.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, James7176 said:

Not my build, it's a buddies but this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/sfcMnQ/asrock-ab350m-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350m

I'm going for the MSI 350M Bazooka when I build my sys

Dont go for that mobo, MSI mobos, especially in the Tomahawk class suck really much, both VRM and BIOS are poor 

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Dont go for that mobo, MSI mobos, especially in the Tomahawk class suck really much, both VRM and BIOS are poor 

Duely noted, I'm currently on a MSI MOBO but never OC'd it so not had any issues with VRMS, TBH I'm considering waiting until Black friday and going for a X370 because theres more option

CPU: R5 3600 @ 4.4 GHz

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 MHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Super 

3 minutes ago, James7176 said:

Duely noted, I'm currently on a MSI MOBO but never OC'd it so not had any issues with VRMS, TBH I'm considering waiting until Black friday and going for a X370 because theres more option

The issues on MSI mobos are purely AM4, because MSI just doesnt really care about AMD and cheaps out on their products for this line of CPUs. I have experience with Tomahawk and Gaming Pro Carbon (which is the higher class) and both were awful.

I got Asus and i am happy, Asus makes some great mobos for AM4.

Try to get Asus Strix X370-F Gaming on black friday.