Crypto Mining Crash Course

Hey guys

Wondering if there is any good recent guides to all the ones I have came up with online are very dated back from '10-'13 when BTC was just taking off. I rent a small workshop and pay a flat rate electricity cost, there is a fair usage level but I could very easily leave single ~300-700w mining system running 24/7 without it costing me anything so it seems like I am leaving money on the table by not doing it, I know the basics but really would want some advice before I put money down, my biggest points of contention are:

1. What is a realistic setup cost within the UK for a basic miner, which can also double as an encoding, rendering or facebook rig on the odd occasion

2. Is there a high network throughput from mining? I have 5gb/month mobile dongle for use on that property, it is neither fast nor plentiful. It could be increased up to about 50gb but costs are around an £1/GB

3. What is a realistic % investment return on the components without factoring in the energy costs, which I pay for anyway.

Any advice welcome thanks

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Cost depends on what you want to mine.

BTC ASICs start at roughly $2000 for decent ish ones, but you can't do anything else with one

ETH is harder to mine now and requires quite a few GPUs if you want some actual money.

Mining ETH nets about $2(?) per day on a single RX 480, if you can even find one, that is.

Network use is next to nothing

Overall unless you're ready to spend a fair chunk of cash and wait a decent amount of time, you're better off donating surplus power/computing power to something like BOINC or Folding@Home.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

(for mining ethereum)

cost would be around 1.500£ (you need atleast 2 gpus; a single 1070 has around 28mh/s on windows with the claymore miner)

here is a calculator for costs and profit over time (is in usd) https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth?HashingPower=3000&HashingUnit=MH%2Fs&PowerConsumption=8000&CostPerkWh=0.15

when you need the miner for doing encoding you could just stop mining for that time and than resume mining

You need a good ping for mining since the shares have to be accepted, overall internet usage is low.

factor in that you could sell the gpus after 2 years.

1 minute ago, Admiraldeamlich said:

(for mining ethereum)

cost would be around 1.500£ (you need atleast 2 gpus; a single 1070 has around 28mh/s on windows with the claymore miner)

here is a calculator for costs and profit over time (is in usd) https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth?HashingPower=3000&HashingUnit=MH%2Fs&PowerConsumption=8000&CostPerkWh=0.15

when you need the miner for doing encoding you could just stop mining for that time and than resume mining

You need a good ping for mining since the shares have to be accepted, overall internet usage is low.

factor in that you could sell the gpus after 2 years.

so, about $4.5/day or $1673/year. Definitely not worth it, imo.

Takes a year to almost make back what you'd be spending, even with a $0 electricity cost

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

17 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

so, about $4.5/day or $1673/year. Definitely not worth it, imo.

Takes a year to almost make back what you'd be spending, even with a $0 electricity cost

The profit will also go down in future, because after each processed block the difficulty goes up and your gpu has to calculate more for 1 share.

Another thing that you should keep in mind: Ethereum and Bitcoins do not have a "real value". It can crash at any time and your money will be gone 

Cheers guys.

So I threw together a dual 580 build on pcpartpicker. From what I've read these are the best bang4buck card as they have around the same power but for 2/3rds of the price. That Etherium calculator was a great link thanks for the resource.

So about £800 for a basic rig (Ryzen 3, low end motherboard, 2xsaphire 580s) would return $4.27/day at 52MH/s so about £3.30/day. Could probably overclock them, one of the bonus's of living in a frozen wasteland of northern Scotland is my workshop is <10C for the majority of the year so reasonable overclocking gains should be achievable but it's likely to just be splitting hairs at this point. Income equals close enough to £100/month so a ~12% monthly return, which is actually a reasonable amount, it'd pay a good portion of what I pay for that whole shop.

Most of the encoding I do is CPU based so it'd be able to to do that at the same time, would mean I don't need to leave my laptop on 24/7 trying to turn my movie collection from divx/avc to hevc.

As for the value of cryptos, I have already have eye watering amounts invested in BTC, if they go tits up I'd have more than a £800 PC to worry about. Although the continuity of the mining value is important to me, I assume as they become more difficult to mine the values will increase somewhat to compensate? Or would that be wishful thinking as I do notice the return on BTC mining appears to be tiny. 

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

On 25/08/2017 at 3:21 PM, CtrlAltELITE said:

Cheers guys.

So I threw together a dual 580 build on pcpartpicker. From what I've read these are the best bang4buck card as they have around the same power but for 2/3rds of the price. That Etherium calculator was a great link thanks for the resource.

So about £800 for a basic rig (Ryzen 3, low end motherboard, 2xsaphire 580s) would return $4.27/day at 52MH/s so about £3.30/day. Could probably overclock them, one of the bonus's of living in a frozen wasteland of northern Scotland is my workshop is <10C for the majority of the year so reasonable overclocking gains should be achievable but it's likely to just be splitting hairs at this point. Income equals close enough to £100/month so a ~12% monthly return, which is actually a reasonable amount, it'd pay a good portion of what I pay for that whole shop.

Most of the encoding I do is CPU based so it'd be able to to do that at the same time, would mean I don't need to leave my laptop on 24/7 trying to turn my movie collection from divx/avc to hevc.

As for the value of cryptos, I have already have eye watering amounts invested in BTC, if they go tits up I'd have more than a £800 PC to worry about. Although the continuity of the mining value is important to me, I assume as they become more difficult to mine the values will increase somewhat to compensate? Or would that be wishful thinking as I do notice the return on BTC mining appears to be tiny. 

If you do go through with getting the system and mining, can I ask that you use the CPU to fold, as mining on it will be useless anyway and you aren't paying for the electricity anyway. That way you can contribute too, also there is curecoin which can add a little more(although it will be very little).

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240