Raspberry Pi Project

Guest lilbman

I have always wanted to do a Raspberry Pi project, and I think now is the time as I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse I am not using but all still work.  I would like to turn it into a Linux distro machine (albeit not a very fast one).  I have it on my laptop, but I rarely use my laptop at home; instead, I'll be making a Lubuntu machine for at home.  My 'parts' list includes just a kit, which can be found here, as well as a HDMI to VGA adapter.  I plan to mount the RP to the back of the monitor using adhesive pads that I already have.  Just a few questions-

• How easy will it be to install Lubuntu onto the machine?
  • Will the Pi be fast enough for web browsing and watching videos?
  • Do I really need a case and heatsink?

The case and heatsink are recommended as they reduce the risk of ESD or overheating. Web browsing is pretty good, watching videos is moderately okay.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The case and heatsink are recommended as they reduce the risk of ESD or overheating. Web browsing is pretty good, watching videos is moderately okay.

Which Raspberry Pi model do you have?  What resolution do you watch them at?  The monitor I'm using it with is 720p so I do not know if that'll make a difference.

5 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Which Raspberry Pi model do you have?  What resolution do you watch them at?  The monitor I'm using it with is 720p so I do not know if that'll make a difference.

I tried to use my own one for browsing. It' okay not the best.. Now I'm using it as my OpenVPN server and NAS. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

I tried to use my own one for browsing. It' okay not the best.. Now I'm using it as my OpenVPN server and NAS. :) 

Which one do you have?

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Which one do you have?

I believe Model B. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I believe Model B. 

The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

3 minutes ago, lilbman said:

The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B?

Yes. :) I forgot to mention. When I bought the first one, it overheated. :( Amazon sent me another one and refunded me for the first one. So make sure you have a heatsink with yours, if you're going to use it as daily driver. Also, get a case for it. It'll look nice. :D

40 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I have the Raspberry Pi 3 model B, watching them in standard view on YouTube(720p60 if I recall correctly)

Edited by Crunchy Dragon

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

Yes. :) I forgot to mention. When I bought the first one, it overheated. :( Amazon sent me another one and refunded me for the first one. So make sure you have a heatsink with yours, if you're going to use it as daily driver. Also, get a case for it. It'll look nice. :D

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I have the Raspberry Pi 3 model B, watching them in standard view on YouTube(720p60 if I recall correctly)

Good to know, guys-thanks for the responses! 

Would it be better to just buy something like an Intel NUC and use that? I don't want to spend too much money on it as it won't be a daily driver, but it will be nice for occasional use.

3 hours ago, lilbman said:
  • How easy will it be to install Lubuntu onto the machine?

raspbian is equivalent to lubuntu in terms of being lightweight and simple.

3 hours ago, lilbman said:
  • Will the Pi be fast enough for web browsing and watching videos?

you would be better off with a tablet or chromecast

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

13 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

raspbian is equivalent to lubuntu in terms of being lightweight and simple.

you would be better off with a tablet or chromecast

I don;t believe you can use a Chromecast with a keyboard and mouse and use it as a general web browsing machine.  Good to know that Raspbian is light enough for use.

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

Good to know, guys-thanks for the responses! 

Would it be better to just buy something like an Intel NUC and use that? I don't want to spend too much money on it as it won't be a daily driver, but it will be nice for occasional use.

A NUC would run a lot better and faster than a Pi. If you're looking for a more budget-oriented PC, I'd recommend the Pi. If not, go for the NUC