Rust Server

FaiL___

Hi, I am looking to host a Rust Server but I don't want to pay a subscription for any online services. I know you can host it with a dedicated server, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so, what specs was the server? I have a laptop with an i3 and 4GB ram just lying around, so would ideally be using that. Thanks in advance.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

7 minutes ago, FaiL___ said:

Hi, I am looking to host a Rust Server but I don't want to pay a subscription for any online services. I know you can host it with a dedicated server, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so, what specs was the server? I have a laptop with an i3 and 4GB ram just lying around, so would ideally be using that. Thanks in advance.

I think your internet connection matters a lot. Same with Minecraft, people always look at the ram, but their upload speed is shit and they just keep allocating more ram. What is your upload speed?

Windows 10 | GTX 970 | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x | 128GB Ripjaws V 

1 minute ago, Pokemoneuro said:

I think your internet connection matters a lot. Same with Minecraft, people always look at the ram, but their upload speed is shit and they just keep allocating more ram. What is your upload speed?

My upload speed is pretty good to be honest, I get about 20mb/s consistently

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Just now, FaiL___ said:

My upload speed is pretty good to be honest, I get about 20mb/s consistently

Okay, I just did a quick google search and they said that after some testing they came to the conclusion that you should at least have 7 GB of RAM for a server. (https://www.rustafied.com/how-to-host-your-own-rust-server/) Others say it's lower than that (https://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comments/402c7w/rust_dedicated_server_cpu_requirements/)

3 hours ago, Pokemoneuro said:

Okay, I just did a quick google search and they said that after some testing they came to the conclusion that you should at least have 7 GB of RAM for a server. (https://www.rustafied.com/how-to-host-your-own-rust-server/) Others say it's lower than that (https://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comments/402c7w/rust_dedicated_server_cpu_requirements/)

I have a PC with 8GB, but I need that to actually play Rust ? on the other hand, how much do the online rental services cost?

Just now, FaiL___ said:

I have a PC with 8GB, but I need that to actually play Rust ? on the other hand, how much do the online rental services cost?

The price per host differs a lot. I just looked some up and found this comparison site: https://comparegamehosting.com/game/rust/ I suppose you'll be able to find some stuff here! 

6 hours ago, Pokemoneuro said:

The price per host differs a lot. I just looked some up and found this comparison site: https://comparegamehosting.com/game/rust/ I suppose you'll be able to find some stuff here! 

Cheers mate

• 1 month later...

i know im late to this but i have successfully ran a rust server from my laptop.

laptop specs

Intel pentium B940 @ 2GHz

8GB DDR3 ram

500GB HDD

laptop in question is the DELL Inspiron 15R 5110

server ran very well no lag and achieving 250fps

i will say that there was only ever me connected to it so having 5 players on at the same time might be too much but if you are hosting a server for just you and a friend then a pentium like above should be fine even if you plan to use oxide

either way i have just rented out a dedicated server for rust since i use my laptop for work now and my type of work means i need my laptop with me (IT Technical Support)

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

On 20/08/2017 at 1:04 PM, FaiL___ said:

If your looking to run the server public then I wouldn't advise doing it your self - you'll be busy as an admin/mod or enjoying the game! 

Plus if you host a server you can select the appropriate hardware, have better connectivity inc up time and have external support. many are rented monthly so no big deal.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF