Blu ray disc's not being detected

Hi,

My LG BH16NS40 blu ray writer cant detect when i insert a blu ray into my pc.

Its seems to only detect dvd's.

I'm running Windows 10 and I've never encountered this issue before.

Any help would be great.

4 minutes ago, Intel HD Graphics said:

Windos 10 ?

Not sure... Because it work early and now... it doesnt

Just now, Strayan_Bass said:

Not sure... Because it work early and now... it doesnt

What OS ( operating system ) do you have eg. Windows 7, 8 or 10

28 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Hi,

My LG BH16NS40 blu ray writer cant detect when i insert a blu ray into my pc.

Its seems to only detect dvd's.

I'm running Windows 10 and I've never encountered this issue before.

Any help would be great.

You're going to want to download the latest firmware for the BH16NS40 from LG's website by visiting http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BH16NS40. You'll want to grab version 1.03-A0.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

8 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

installed it, still no luck. But the weird thing is it still plays dvd's and cd's.

Alright. With some research, I found that Windows 10 does not have native Blue-ray support. Therefore, I would try installing VLC Player to read the Blue-rays. You can open it by clicking on the "Media" drop-down at the top of the window and selecting "Read Disk...". The GUI should be self-explanatory from there.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

6 minutes ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Alright. With some research, I found that Windows 10 does not have native Blue-ray support. Therefore, I would try installing VLC Player to read the Blue-rays. You can open it by clicking on the "Media" drop-down at the top of the window and selecting "Read Disk...". The GUI should be self-explanatory from there.

Ive already got vlc installed but for some reason blu ray just stop when in the process of reading in the drive

3 minutes ago, Strayan_Bass said:

Ive already got vlc installed but for some reason blu ray just stop when in the process of reading in the drive

Strange. I personally have never used a Blue-ray player with a Windows computer before, so I can only provide information I find from support threads online. From what I collected, most Blue-ray player solutions cost money or require complex workarounds to read the disk. Microsoft released a tool called Windows DVD Player on their store, but it's not free. This is a very scummy move for Microsoft, but they have to make money somehow.

Desktop

Homelab

Just now, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Strange. I personally have never used a Blue-ray player with a Windows computer before, so I can only provide information I find from support threads online. From what I collected, most Blue-ray player solutions cost money or require complex workarounds to read the disk. Microsoft released a tool called Windows DVD Player on their store, but it's not free. This is a very scummy move for Microsoft, but they have to make money somehow.

I bet it was a windows 10 sneaky update..

Just now, Strayan_Bass said:

I bet it was a windows 10 sneaky update..

It seems to happen right after Windows 8 Pro was released. If you didn't pay the extra $100 upgrade from Windows 8 Standard to Pro, you don't get to use your Blue-ray player.

Desktop

Homelab

Just now, Homeless_Pineapple said:

It seems to happen right after Windows 8 Pro was released. If you didn't pay the extra $100 upgrade from Windows 8 Standard to Pro, you don't get to use your Blue-ray player.

that some consumer grade bullshiet once again from microsoft

it could be a driver issue. Maybe your bluray is detected as DVD drive? Make sure it says BD-RE next to the drive letter.

For movies you do need special software such as powerdvd, but you should be able to read the file system of the disc.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

The fact that it worked before and doesn't now is likely to mean that the blu-ray laser has kicked the bucket (DVDs and CDs will still work because it uses a different laser) meaning that it can only be used with DVDs and CDs.

8 hours ago, xGGAx said:

it could be a driver issue. Maybe your bluray is detected as DVD drive? Make sure it says BD-RE next to the drive letter.

For movies you do need special software such as powerdvd, but you should be able to read the file system of the disc.

its says its a BD-RE drive. 

4 hours ago, demonix00 said:

The fact that it worked before and doesn't now is likely to mean that the blu-ray laser has kicked the bucket (DVDs and CDs will still work because it uses a different laser) meaning that it can only be used with DVDs and CDs.

I've decided just buy the latest model BH16NS55. So ill keep you posted if the issue are related to the laser or could be windows 10.

I've spoke to LG regarding the drive, they told me its a hardware issue regarding the blu ray laser. But for the price of fixing it wasn't worth it. I'm now trailing my new BH16NS55.

So far its a hell lot quieter.

It's probably because of you disk drive. Go into device manager and find your DVD/Disk and right click it, select update driver and then click on search online.

It shall automatically update to the newest version.