Hard drive issues

I have a fairly new WD Blue 1TB drive that I use only for storing Movies and Music. A few days ago it stopped appearing in device manager and the drive had stopped spinning. So I unplugged and replugged the SATA cable (I didn't disconnect it from the PSU), and my PC recognized the drive. I did some tests and the speeds were just fine so I don't think there's anything physically wrong with the drive. But every time I restart the PC, I have to unplug and replug the drive. Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks in advance :)

2 minutes ago, TimTam :P said:

I have a fairly new WD Blue 1TB drive that I use only for storing Movies and Music. A few days ago it stopped appearing in device manager and the drive had stopped spinning. So I unplugged and replugged the SATA cable (I didn't disconnect it from the PSU), and my PC recognized the drive. I did some tests and the speeds were just fine so I don't think there's anything physically wrong with the drive. But every time I restart the PC, I have to unplug and replug the drive. Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks in advance :)

Could you let me know which motherboard you are using? Also, do you have an M.2 SSD in your system?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

20 minutes ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Could you let me know which motherboard you are using? Also, do you have an M.2 SSD in your system?

My system is quite dated (Specs: Sapphire Pure Black X58, Xeon X5680, GTX 780, 24gb ddr3, 2x 1TB WD Blue drives, 120GB SanDisk  SSD) theres no m.2 slot on the board.

6 minutes ago, TimTam :P said:

My system is quite dated (Specs: Sapphire Pure Black X58, Xeon X5680, GTX 780, 24gb ddr3, 2x 1TB WD Blue drives, 120GB SanDisk  SSD) theres no m.2 slot on the board.

Alright. When I see threads like this I usually assume that they are using an M.2 SSD, where their motherboards unreliable disable a SATA port when an M.2 slot is in use.

Have you tried using different SATA ports on your motherboard, or using different SATA 3 wires?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

27 minutes ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Alright. When I see threads like this I usually assume that they are using an M.2 SSD, where their motherboards unreliable disable a SATA port when an M.2 slot is in use.

Have you tried using different SATA ports on your motherboard, or using different SATA 3 wires?

I've only tried different ports. I'll try a new cable. Thanks for the suggestion :)