Cat 5 A B

Anonymouse

Hi guys,

I've just moved into a new place and they have cat 5 going from the garage to the center of the house but they have wired it In Cat 5 A form while data like routera use Cat 5 B, I want to get a router on the other side of the Cat 5 A line.

My logic says that if I make a cat 5 B to A cable and a A to B that I can run a router on the other end, any ideas on how to get this working?

If it's A to A standard on both ends then it doesn't matter.

They are just wire colors in the end. So long as they match at both ends and are straight through, you're fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Dont worry about Cat A or even making a crossover cable. Cat B is the standard and nowadays electronics can determine whether its a crossover or not and automatically adjust if needed. So stick to B for everything and youll be all good.

I've only checked one end but I cant get a link so I'll check the other end, any other suggestions on why I'm not getting a link? 

5 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

I've only checked one end but I cant get a link so I'll check the other end, any other suggestions on why I'm not getting a link? 

The cable could be damaged. Especially if it was not run correctly. But if you have a crimper I would try reterminating the ends.

Just tried to check the other side but its glued into the wall an cant check it

I have a FTTP box in the garage and a patch that goes from the garage to the center of the house, currently the router is in the garage and is having trouble getting to all parts of the house.

I believe that line was used for some VoIP system if that helps.

And I currently dont have a crimper or a line tester 

When running cabling across a building or house, always use A to A or B to B.

TIA/EIA-568 A to A should be used for vertical runs, i.e. MDF on floor 1 to IDF1 on floor 2.

TIA/EIA-568 B to B should be used for horizontal runs, i.e. IDF1 on floor 2 to a desktop on floor 2.

Straight Through vs Crossover patch cables

TIA/EIA-568 A to B or vice versa should be used as a crossover cable to connect same type devices, i.e. switch to switch, PC to PC, router to router, PC to router. (Also check out Auto MDI/MDIX)

TIA/EIA-568 A to A and B to B should be used as a straight through cable to different type devices, i.e. switch to router or switch to PC. 

Hope I gave some useful info.

7 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

Just tried to check the other side but its glued into the wall an cant check it

I have a FTTP box in the garage and a patch that goes from the garage to the center of the house, currently the router is in the garage and is having trouble getting to all parts of the house.

I believe that line was used for some VoIP system if that helps.

And I currently dont have a crimper or a line tester 

Get a cheap tester.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoostliss-Network-Cable-Tester-Networking/dp/B06XZYXN63/ref=zg_bs_7701919011_6/137-7229873-2334328?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A0BPBH3KGGDQNDQJK5AB