Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is getting Vulkan Support

AlTech
1 hour ago, Humbug said:

The Vulkan renderer is still in beta and under development.

But still it seems like there is something wrong with Nvidia's current Vulkan driver especially at higher resolutions

https://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/484692

Yeah, I mentioned in my last that it's still early days. I'll be interested to see where it goes from here. While Stardock has said it's currently a straight up performance decrease from DX12, I'm seriously wondering if that will still be true in the future with how close they already are on AMD.

I hope we get to find out where the issue for Nvidia cards is though. I'm really interested to know if it's a Stardock thing or legitimately a driver issue, since I haven't come across any major ones so far in my Vulkan work.

Called it that we'll see a game support bot DX12 and Vulkan together. It's quite awesome really, would wish to see more games do so. I know in a way there's not much point to it cause of similarities and some extra work but...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

56 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Called it that we'll see a game support bot DX12 and Vulkan together. It's quite awesome really, would wish to see more games do so. I know in a way there's not much point to it cause of similarities and some extra work but...

Why though? What benefit is there to supporting DX12 if you support Vulkan?

The only reason I could think is for XBone or Windows Store where you can't use Vulkan, but even that's only a temporary issue with the Vulkan Portability Initiative (Vulkan over DX12/Metal).

58 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

The only reason I could think is for XBone or Windows Store where you can't use Vulkan, but even that's only a temporary issue with the Vulkan Portability Initiative (Vulkan over DX12/Metal).

Yeah I get that that Vulkan is more versatile as well. Though here in AotS it's great to see comparison and differences between the two. Like for example some games that are DX12 could bring Vulkan support as well maybe. I can see it that way eventually not the other way around though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

This is why I have so much respect for Stardock, they not only greatly care about their customers they are themselves interested in optimizing technology in every way they can so are themselves interested in the differences between Vulkan and DX12. AotS might get a bit of flak for really being a benchmark tool but this is the genre of games that they specialize in and are pioneering other things actively in their other games like Galactic Civilizations III.

Oxide Games are the actual developers of AotS but if anyone was going to back this it would be Stardock, if they actually are and in what way I have no idea but I'm not at all surprised to see Stardock's name in the mix.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Oxide Games are the actual developers of AotS but if anyone was going to back this it would be Stardock, if they actually are and in what way I have no idea but I'm not at all surprised to see Stardock's name in the mix.

They're definitely the publishers of it.

I may be wrong but I think they're also helping with a bunch of the rendering backend parts of the engine the same way they did with Iron Engine. After all, graphics technology is one of their big focus areas on the enterprise side.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They're definitely the publishers of it.

lol I even looked before posting and totally missed that Stardock was also listed as a developer as well as being the publisher.

FxQzTk.jpg

I must be blind ;).