SuperMicro X7DBN server

hey i was wounding if and  SuperMicro X7DBN motherboard with 2X Xeon X5365 CPU's @ 3.00 Ghz. and 32gb ram for $160can was a good deal? i don't need it but maybe i can turn it in to an gaming pc and sell it for a bit more?

i think it come's with and hhd don't no how big,and an psu,and  Seanix Case. what would be the pros and cons of turning it in to an cheap gaming pc.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

bump

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

11 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

hey i was wounding if and  SuperMicro X7DBN motherboard with 2X Xeon X5365 CPU's @ 3.00 Ghz. and 32gb ram for $160can was a good deal? i don't need it but maybe i can turn it in to an gaming pc and sell it for a bit more?

i think it come's with and hhd don't no how big,and an psu,and  Seanix Case. what would be the pros and cons of turning it in to an cheap gaming pc.

If you have an actual (server)use for it, then maybe, but definitely not as a gaming PC. The price isn't bad but not that great either, similar hardware can be found for under $150, the CPU's themselves are just $10-30 each.

If you could find a bargain, this is cool stuff to tinker with if you need a NAS or torrent/plex server or the like. But bear in mind that you are buying a platform with probably just one PCIe 16x slot at best, very limited I/O, DDR2 only, won't fit an ATX case properly and likely has no standardised ATX power connectors either.

13 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

If you have an actual (server)use for it, then maybe, but definitely not as a gaming PC. The price isn't bad but not that great either, similar hardware can be found for under $150, the CPU's themselves are just $10-30 each.

If you could find a bargain, this is cool stuff to tinker with if you need a NAS or torrent/plex server or the like. But bear in mind that you are buying a platform with probably just one PCIe 16x slot at best, very limited I/O, DDR2 only, won't fit an ATX case properly and likely has no standardised ATX power connectors either.

looks like it uses an 24 pin, 4 pin and an 6 pin but i could be wrong. i guess ddr3 8gb ram would beat out dd2 32 gb server ram or something like that. linus made a server gaming pc for $150 (im guessing that was us? i dont no he dose say) but ya i think it is an 16x slot but only uses 8x so i guess any desktop platform would be better at 16x. so hard to compare pc to pc. so may variables haha. only thing i could think of using it as a server would be for mindcraft but i no nothing about server haha and i probably could just do a vm to do that. i was just wondering with that amount of ram and 2 cpu's had some edge for the money but i guess not. anyway thx for the replay. and ya they do look cool haha just something about lots of ram and 2 cpus...

if i was looking for an budget server pc for gaming what things should i look for?

4 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

looks like it uses an 24 pin, 4 pin and an 6 pin but i could be wrong. i guess ddr3 8gb ram would beat out dd2 32 gb server ram or something like that. linus made a server gaming pc for $150 (im guessing that was us? i dont no he dose say) but ya i think it is an 16x slot but only uses 8x so i guess any desktop platform would be better at 16x. so hard to compare pc to pc. so may variables haha. only thing i could think of using it as a server would be for mindcraft but i no nothing about server haha and i probably could just do a vm to do that. i was just wondering with that amount of ram and 2 cpu's had some edge for the money but i guess not. anyway thx for the replay. and ya they do look cool haha just something about lots of ram and 2 cpus...

if i was looking for an budget server pc for gaming what things should i look for?

The 'server gaming pc' Linus made  was likely a similar model to what you're looking at.

I only realised now that it's $160 Canadian, so that's actually a pretty good deal I guess, 32GB DDR2 is still worth something. But if all you do is gaming, you're willing to buy used and maybe spend a little more, a Sandybridge (maybe Haswell) CPU + mobo + 8GB RAM is a much better choice for that price range.

Purely from a performance and 'compatibility' standpoint I would say: don't buy old server parts for gaming. But if building the PC is as much a hobby for you as gaming on it or your budget is reeeeeeally tight, I'd say: go for it!

I'm not going to recommend one or the other though. You probably can't find a full 'consumer grade" PC (ex GPU) of similar performance to this server for the same money or less. Should you buy a proper PC in a year or two, this server is still excellent to use as a NAS or game/media/download-server (because of the 32GB).

Just bear in mind, as Linus pointed out in the video, that the amount of money you save could be made up for in the amount of hassle and headaches you have to go through to get it working as a gaming rig (I hope you don't have to saw off part of the GPU :P ).

Good luck! :) 

6 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

The 'server gaming pc' Linus made  was likely a similar model to what you're looking at.

I only realised now that it's $160 Canadian, so that's actually a pretty good deal I guess, 32GB DDR2 is still worth something. But if all you do is gaming, you're willing to buy used and maybe spend a little more, a Sandybridge (maybe Haswell) CPU + mobo + 8GB RAM is a much better choice for that price range.

Purely from a performance and 'compatibility' standpoint I would say: don't buy old server parts for gaming. But if building the PC is as much a hobby for you as gaming on it or your budget is reeeeeeally tight, I'd say: go for it!

I'm not going to recommend one or the other though. You probably can't find a full 'consumer grade" PC (ex GPU) of similar performance to this server for the same money or less. Should you buy a proper PC in a year or two, this server is still excellent to use as a NAS or game/media/download-server (because of the 32GB).

Just bear in mind, as Linus pointed out in the video, that the amount of money you save could be made up for in the amount of hassle and headaches you have to go through to get it working as a gaming rig (I hope you don't have to saw off part of the GPU :P ).

Good luck! :) 

ya ok. i don't need it i already have a skylake 6600k and an i7 920 1366 (witch would probably beat that server for gaming even thow its only;y 6gb ram) it be just for messing with or sell it as a server / buget gaming pc. (as of right now price dropped to $150 so i might be able to get it cheaper haha.

the problem right now is everyone is listing there old pc's for too much. like my i7920 1366 pc is worth $250-$300 even thow its like 9 years old. come to think of it i could probly resell my ssd i got in December for $135 for a 480gb i could probably resell that for more then i paid because the price dubbed.ahah

so i was watching a youtube video on guy making an mindcraft server and he said it would work with 1gb of ram 2gb ram for moded. i guess for servers you alacakte some ram to a server. the more ram you have the more servers you can run is how i see it i guess. so in terms that seem like a good server haha.anyway thx for your time