Paint Backplate

Ladies and Gents,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with painting the backplate of their GPU and would it be bad to paint the silver shroud around the fans?

I currently have an EVGA 1080TI FTW3 and I wanted to paint the backplate with Plastidip to white so it would match my build better. I there any harm in doing this?

If anyone has any cool examples please let me know.

Thanks.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

I'm not sure because I've never really painted anything. But I assume as long as you don't get paint on the PCB, the motors of the fans, or the heatsink (on the heatsink would mess with thermals), you'll be fine.

Sounds like a cool project! 

1 minute ago, Navbryce said:

I'm not sure because I've never really painted anything. But I assume as long as you don't get paint on the PCB, the motors of the fans, or the heatsink (on the heatsink would mess with thermals), you'll be fine.

Sounds like a cool project! 

The problem is, you might lose the warranty by doing so. I would contact EVGA support first and ask them about that. EVGA has a great customer care so they should be able to help OP :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

The problem is, you might lose the warranty by doing so. I would contact EVGA support first and ask them about that. EVGA has a great customer care so they should be able to help OP :)

True. 

Plastidip comes off fairly easily but yea I guess that is a good idea. Or maybe they are cool and have a white backplate.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

Just now, CA8OOS3 said:

Ladies and Gents,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with painting the backplate of their GPU and would it be bad to paint the silver shroud around the fans?

I currently have an EVGA 1080TI FTW3 and I wanted to paint the backplate with Plastidip to white so it would match my build better. I there any harm in doing this?

Thanks.

as the person that is above me said, if you dont touch the chip itself or anything that has to do with the fans(other than the blades) you should be fine, so i suggest putting tape (there's a special tape for this stuff that are about painting)

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

agreed

25 minutes ago, CA8OOS3 said:

Ladies and Gents,

Thanks.

As said you can paint it with plasti-dip if you want a removalable coating, another option is to vinyl wrap it which will also work.

- Moved to Modding Section- 

Just now, W-L said:

As said you can paint it with plasti-dip if you want a removalable coating, another option is to vinyl wrap it which will also work.

- Moved to Modding Section- 

I never thought about Vinyl wrap. I sent a message to EVGA to see what their thoughts are. I know they do not mind you overclocking the card or reapplying thermal paste and stuff so I do don't think they would mind their GPU being painted.

My biggest concern really is, would the paint on the backplate decrease thermal performance?

2 minutes ago, CA8OOS3 said:

I never thought about Vinyl wrap. I sent a message to EVGA to see what their thoughts are. I know they do not mind you overclocking the card or reapplying thermal paste and stuff so I do don't think they would mind their GPU being painted.

My biggest concern really is, would the paint on the backplate decrease thermal performance?

No the paint won't affect anything, the shroud doesn't get hot and the backplate does very little in terms of dissipation. 

Just now, W-L said:

No the paint won't affect anything, the shroud doesn't get hot and the backplate does very little in terms of dissipation. 

That is what I thought, i guess i just need to know for warranty sake since the card is soooooo expensive lol.

On the same note anyone know anyone that makes cool SSD wraps or something

1 minute ago, CA8OOS3 said:

That is what I thought, i guess i just need to know for warranty sake since the card is soooooo expensive lol.

On the same note anyone know anyone that makes cool SSD wraps or something

You would most likely just to just cut and wrap it yourself, I don't believe I've seen precut wraps for SSD's before.